2010 vs 2013 Virtualized Unified Messaging System Requirements? RRS feed

• Question

• On Exchange 2010 virtualized UM has some pretty heavy system requirements.

Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 SP1 supports virtualization of the Unified Messaging role when it is installed on the 64-bit edition of Windows Server 2008 R2.

Unified Messaging must be the only Exchange role in the virtual machine. Other Exchange roles (Client Access, Edge Transport, Hub Transport, Mailbox) are not supported on the same virtual machine as Unified Messaging.

The virtualized machine configuration running Unified Messaging must have at least 4 CPU cores, and at least 16 GB of memory.

We currently do not have UM, but we have 1 single CAS and 1 MB/HT server for about 300 active users.

If we were to add UM on Exchange Server 2010, we would have to add a 3rd VM to dedicate to the single task of running Unified Messaging requiring a new Windows Server License and a new Exchange Server licence plus a big Hyper-V host upgrade to be able to afford to dedicate 16GB RAM and 4 cores to this one VM.

I understand that on Exchange Server 2013 UM is integrated into the mailbox server role.  So, this sounds like if we were to upgrade from 2010 to 2013 we would be able to have one less server to purchase and manage.

What are the system requirements for Exchange 2013 running UM in relation to 2010?

Saturday, November 16, 2013 12:28 AM

All replies

• Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:42 AM
  • There is no single UM role in 2013.

It comes with the Mailbox role. Hence using the storage calculator with the option for virtualization set to yes will give you the hardware requirements.

Rajith Enchiparambil | http://www.howexchangeworks.com |

HowExchangeWorks.Com

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:09 AM
  • I already had looked at the system requirements for Exchange Server 2013 and I know that it is part of the mailbox role.

There may be some additional requirements if you actually enable and use Unified Messaging versus the role being there. but just sitting dormant.  

I'm trying to find system requirements specific to actually using the Unified Messaging feature.

Are the system requirements of the Mailbox server identical whether or not you use the Unified Messaging features?

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:17 PM
  • Does anyone have any info on additional system requirements for mailbox servers when Unified Messaging is in use versus when Unified Messaging is not configured for use?

It does not make sense that there would not be additional load and additional system requirements for Exchange mailbox servers that use Unified Messaging on an existing Exchange mailbox server vs servers that don't and instead use some sort of third part unified messaging service on a separate server (such as Cisco Unity).

Sunday, December 29, 2013 4:43 AM