Windows Settings in Windows Easy Transfer Tool RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to migrate user info from a XP pc to a Windows 7 pc and work but I need an explanation as to what are the items that are in the windows settings area. Please assist.

Monday, August 15, 2011 4:22 PM

Answers

• "Anthony Beander Team Rev. Tech Team" wrote in message news:79ea64e5-4915-4dec-8db1-15b880d338a6...

I actually already did that and it doens't give specific information like if it imports reg keys or printer settings, I am work in a AD domain enviorment as well if that makes a difference.

S.N.: You facebooked me? Really?

No, I Googled you – which led to FB.    ;)
    It’s routine if I get the feeling that someone is trying to get me/us to do their school project (or thesis!) for them.

I’ve only ever used WET once, and wasn’t really interested in the details at the time, so can’t recall anything specific.
    Just running WET here (with this PC as the Old one)....
    I’m quite surprised to see cookies are preserved! – but I can’t see any other uncompressed data that’s readable

What about the Report in the target machine (the Win7 one)? Does that give any details? (I can’t check as my VM is non-functional at the moment)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Proposed as answer by zhen tan Thursday, August 18, 2011 8:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:41 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 7:12 PM

All replies

• That refers to items such as the wallpaper, how folders are displayed, start menu settings, etc.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    Monday, August 15, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Cool, Thats a start but I need the list to be more inclusive and a little more indepth, I have to present my findings.

Monday, August 15, 2011 5:17 PM
  • "Anthony Beander Team Rev. Tech Team" wrote in message news:3bccf6fe-bbd7-4794-bbe3-9246427ac160...

Cool, Thats a start but I need the list to be more inclusive and a little more indepth, I have to present my findings.

Why should we do your homework for you?

Monday, August 15, 2011 5:35 PM
  • It’s not really my homework but more I cannot find the answer anywhere including past articles here and other places. And MS doesn't specify it in it's easy transfer articles, unless you have seen it and if so if you could point me in the right direction i would be very appreciative.

Monday, August 15, 2011 5:58 PM
  • "Anthony Beander Team Rev. Tech Team" wrote in message news:8a7ae36b-6c17-4096-8037-7795c6710fc4...

It’s not really my homework but more I cannot find the answer anywhere including past articles here and other places. And MS doesn't specify it in it's easy transfer articles, unless you have seen it and if so if you could point me in the right direction i would be very appreciative.

Peirce College is getting lax – don’t they teach elementary Google?
    :)

Either way, your best option would be to run WET with just the Windows Settings option, and then go to Advanced, and see what it’s picked up.

Monday, August 15, 2011 6:07 PM
  • I actually already did that and it doens't give specific information like if it imports reg keys or printer settings, I am work in a AD domain enviorment as well if that makes a difference.

Monday, August 15, 2011 6:16 PM
  • "Anthony Beander Team Rev. Tech Team" wrote in message news:79ea64e5-4915-4dec-8db1-15b880d338a6...

I actually already did that and it doens't give specific information like if it imports reg keys or printer settings, I am work in a AD domain enviorment as well if that makes a difference.

No, I Googled you – which led to FB.    ;)
    It’s routine if I get the feeling that someone is trying to get me/us to do their school project (or thesis!) for them.

I’ve only ever used WET once, and wasn’t really interested in the details at the time, so can’t recall anything specific.
    Just running WET here (with this PC as the Old one)....
    I’m quite surprised to see cookies are preserved! – but I can’t see any other uncompressed data that’s readable

What about the Report in the target machine (the Win7 one)? Does that give any details? (I can’t check as my VM is non-functional at the moment)

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:41 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 7:12 PM
  • LOL! Thats ok.

I ran the but it seems incomplete, there seems to be way to much data missing for the alloted space, i.e. 2.6 mb with the just the windows setting files and the other settings, which is unfortunately not un-checkable in the list :( .  It should be more files, me and my co-workers thought it might be in the migapp.xml file what would be taken but the files a few hundred pages long and sifting through that could bottleneck us for a few days. Don't have that kind of time lol.

• Proposed as answer by zhen tan Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:59 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 7:55 PM