Vista slow to respond overall. Long pauses when starting applications, etc. RRS feed

• Question

• Since about 2 weeks ago, vista has been curiously slow to respond, and system pauses for up to a minute when starting up applications that it previously had no problems handling. A wide range of programs and actions seem to induce this effect, including but not limited to loading a CD, streaming a video online, opening a non-resource-heavy program, the Ctrl-Alt-Delete menu, and even just now as I type.

During the pauses, usually the cursor is completely operational, and windows already opened do not show the white tint in case of "not responding" when clicked on. Also, buttons do not show the regular mouseover response when tried. After the pause is over, all commands queued up just before and during the pause are executed.

Moreover, system startup is also slowed in a similar fashion. A black screen would show only the cursor for over a minute without anything else.

I have Vista SP2, with Duo core 2.13GHz Intel CPU and 4 GB ram. Graphic card is GeForce 9500 GT. I have installed all available Vista updates and updated my drivers.

Please let me know if I should provide more information. Thanks!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:38 AM

All replies

• the error code 80071a30

has appeared and my computer is so slow please help
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:49 PM
  • Did you find a solution to this?  My PC has started doing the same....
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 10:10 PM