SharePoint Retroactive Versioning RRS feed

• Question

• We are working to implement SharePoint 2007 (MOSS). With that we will be uploading thousands of documents that currently have version control. Management would like to have the SharePoint versions match the already established versions (ie SP  2.0, document history 2.0). Of course not all of our docs have version history so knowing if we missed a draft for these will not be as easy to identify.

We know that we can version by loading documents oldest to newest and essentially "overwriting" each time to create a version. BUT - with thousands of documents (some of which were not previously versioned) we are wary that we may load and version a number of docs and then realize that there was one draft missing from the pile. This will need to be put into SharePoint and versioned appropriately. Is there a way to do this without going back to the version prior to the new found draft and essentially starting the overwriting process all over again? Is there a way to either out-of-box edit version numbers (NOT just by adding a column to the Document Library metadata) or does anyone know a way to code this option?

Ex: We have 7 old documents that we have loaded and versioned in SharePoint. The version history now sits at 7.0. As we continue to clean out the Share Drive we find a draft that needs to be loaded between version 4.0 and 5.0.

Thanks!

Friday, July 8, 2011 4:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

No. there isnt and OOB method. But there are third party tools. However, the only one I use for migration is metalogix http://www.metalogix.com/Home.aspx. The other really important issue to do is build your document taxonomy (site columns and values, TermStore etc and apply the values to each diocument you import it is the single most important process you can complete as you wll find if you dont do it, you will end up doing duriong he next upgrade / migration...

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 10:58 PM