none
Automate Capture of Reference Image RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone I have searching for answer with my problem on various websites but none seem to have the issue I am facing.

I have a lab environment on Hyper V and run 3 servers all 2016 running a DC ,a member server with MDT build deployment share and supporting services and a separate WSUS server. I have managed to partially automate the reference build install of OS , Office 2016 and then capture if I specify SKIPCAPTURE=No, I am then prompted to choose the location where the image is to be stored this works perfectly.

If I then try to automate it by changing the SKIPCAPTURE to Yes and put the location and a file name the task sequence in customsettings.ini runs correctly but when it boots to PE after sysprep my Hyper V  VM just shuts down and no capture takes place.

How can I troubleshoot where this is failing this is the last bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm sure someone has an answer please if any more information is needed I will happily provide it

thanks

Sanddollar

Sorry forgot to add using ADK 1607 MDT 8443 and Windows 10 Enterprise Iso for the reference Image
    Monday, February 27, 2017 2:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Sanddollar,

Would you be able to post the customsettings.ini?  Knowing what you have assigned to the variables should help me with troubleshooting.

Thx

Monday, February 27, 2017 3:05 PM
  • Hi this is what is in it,this is a build lab but up until I add the backup directory location and file name, it all works if I select it manually as part of the first boot.

When I select it manually it saves to the same location as the lines below in my customsettings.ini

If I can make it work I can make it fully automatic.

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=*********
    UserDataLocation=NONE
    DoCapture=YES
    OSInstall=Y
    AdminPassword=P@ssw0rd
    TimeZoneName=Pacific Standard Time
    JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP
    HideShell=NO
    FinishAction=SHUTDOWN
    ApplyGPOPack=NO
    SLSHARE=\\MDT01\Logs$

WSUSServer=http://***********************

SkipAppsOnUpgrade=NO
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerName=NO
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipUserData=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    SkipTaskSequence=YES
    TaskSequenceid=W10-X64-001
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    SkipApplications=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipRoles=YES
    SkipCapture=YES

BackupShare=\\MDT01\MDTBuildLab$
    BackupDir=Captures
    BackupFile=%TaskSequenceID%_#month(date) & "-" & day(date) & "-" & year(date)#.wim

SkipFinalSummary=YES

Bootstrap below

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    DeployRoot=\\MDT01\MDTBuildLab$
    UserDomain=**********
    UserID=MDT_BA
    UserPassword=P@ssw0rd

SkipBDDWelcome=YES

Monday, February 27, 2017 8:36 PM
  • Hello Sanddollar,

Is there anything in the BDD logs regarding any failures? Comparing your CS to mine, I noticed in mine I have:

ComputerBackupLocation=NETWORK

I also use FQDN for the share and have a much simpler filename BackupFile=%TaskSequenceID%.wim. Try that as a test and let us know the results.

Regards,

DLofstedt

P.S. You also have to make sure that the MDT_BA has write permissions on that share.
    • Edited by dlofstedt Monday, February 27, 2017 9:03 PM
    • Proposed as answer by dlofstedt Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:13 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2017 9:01 PM
  • The ComputerBackupLocation made me think I will try it tomorrow and see how I get on I have a remote client I can connect into but its late now

these lines appear in red in CM Trace

The task sequencer log is located at X:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\SMSTS.LOG.  For task sequence failures, please consult this log.

the line above is duplicated further up the log

File C:\MININT\Scripts\LTITriggerUpgradeFailure.wsf already exists in Target

those are the only files which CM trace picks up on the top line appears at least 10 times throughout the whole bdd.log

I did try and change the name to something simple thinking it might be a variable error but it doesn't work at all when I specify backup settings even though I am capturing to exactly the same folder if I do it manually

thanks for the suggestions

Sand

Monday, February 27, 2017 9:17 PM
  • Just to update this I added the line ComputerBackupLocation=NETWORK and the sequence ran through automatically I tried the naming convention I had listed above and all works as it should looks like the ComputerBackupLocation variable in Custom settings was the clincher

thanks for all the suggestions

Sand

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:43 AM