'How do you want to open this' dialog box opens every time i click a link in a document or email RRS feed

• Question

• I have set Microsoft Internet Explorer as My default Application for browsing and opening urls to the internet.

Every time I click a http link in a document or an email I get the dialog box "'How do you want to open this?'"

Microsoft Internet Explorer is highlighted with the dialog 'keep using this application'

Microsoft Edge is displayed as 'Featured in Windows 10' and Other options is 'Look for app in the store'

There is a check box which states 'always use this App'

I always tick the check box yet this dialog box pops up EVERY time I click on a URL in a word document or a Microsoft Outlook office email.

I note that the dialog box does not reappear f  I choose edge as my default App

This is harassment by Microsoft to force customers to use Edge and as such is illegal both in Europe and the USA

I have a number of computers running windows 10 and it does the same on all of them

Please inform me how to stop this pop up

Cheers Rob

Monday, March 14, 2016 3:21 PM

All replies

• If you open Settings > System > Default apps, scroll to bottom and open Set defaults by app. Let that load, open Internet Explorer, what does Choose defaults for this program show under Protocols settings? If HTTP and HTTPS is not selected select it there does that help?
    Monday, March 14, 2016 3:38 PM
  • Hi Rob,

As Mr. Happy said, what’s the result of configuring IE as default Web browser in the Default apps.

Also, we could set program association, like this picture, after this configuration, I think you could open URL by IE without prompt window.

Best regards,

Teemo Tang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 6:29 AM
  • Configuring IE as the default app makes absolutely no difference the pop up still appears

Cheers Rob

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:58 PM