KMS Server Issues RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a Windows Server 2008 server I want to use as my KMS server to activate 200+ Windows Vista Business clients. When I try to install my Vista volume license key on my 2008 server by typing slmgr -ipk <volume license key>, the server returns a Windows Scripting Host error. The error is:

Run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC004F015' to display the erroro text. Error: 0xC004F015.

When I run the command, I get a Windows Activation Error Box that says "An Error Has Occured" with a link that says "You can also contact Microsoft to correct this problem." What gives? I have a valid Vista KMS License?

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:10 AM

Answers

• Hello WillWally,
    See this link
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc308698.aspx
    Table 1 explains what key is allowed on which KMS hosts machines and which KMS hosts keys are needed when using KMS hosts.
    You would need a server group A, B or C KMS hsot key for Windows Server 2008.
    The Windows Vista KMS host key can be used on a Windows Server 2003 machines with KMS 1.1 installed or it can be used on a Windows Vista machine.
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by Anthony_Mann Monday, December 15, 2008 4:36 AM
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 10:45 PM

All replies

•  WillWally wrote:

I have a Windows Server 2008 server I want to use as my KMS server to activate 200+ Windows Vista Business clients. When I try to install my Vista volume license key on my 2008 server by typing slmgr -ipk <volume license key>, the server returns a Windows Scripting Host error. The error is:

Run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC004F015' to display the erroro text. Error: 0xC004F015.

When I run the command, I get a Windows Activation Error Box that says "An Error Has Occured" with a link that says "You can also contact Microsoft to correct this problem." What gives? I have a valid Vista KMS License?

Change the product key of your Windows 2008 with you KMS_Server product Key

Start Menu
    Right Click on Computer
    Properties
    In the "Windows Activation" Zone click on the "Change Product Key" Link
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:30 AM
  •  

I tried to change the product key, but get "The product key you have entered will not work on this edition of Windows Server. You must either run Windows Server setup or enter a windows server standard product key."

My KMS license is Window Vista Business. How is that going to work on a Windows 2008 server?

• Proposed as answer by LoneRanger Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:55 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:13 PM
  •  WillWally wrote:

I tried to change the product key, but get "The product key you have entered will not work on this edition of Windows Server. You must either run Windows Server setup or enter a windows server standard product key."

My KMS license is Window Vista Business. How is that going to work on a Windows 2008 server?

There is no KMS license for Windows Business only for all Vista (not really but for the purpose of this post i prefer to simplify)

Where did you get this key?

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:21 PM
  • It was purchased with a large hardware order from HP. This is the key they told us we would need to apply to our KMS server for Vista Business Activation.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:25 PM
  • Hello WillWally,
    See this link
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc308698.aspx
    Table 1 explains what key is allowed on which KMS hosts machines and which KMS hosts keys are needed when using KMS hosts.
    You would need a server group A, B or C KMS hsot key for Windows Server 2008.
    The Windows Vista KMS host key can be used on a Windows Server 2003 machines with KMS 1.1 installed or it can be used on a Windows Vista machine.
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by Anthony_Mann Monday, December 15, 2008 4:36 AM
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 10:45 PM