XP Mode does not install on HP 64 bit W7Pro w. HAV initialized RRS feed

• Question

• I carefully followed the installation instructions. Both virtual PC and XP Mode appeared in my Start Menu but the "screen within a screen" as shown in the video tutorials never came up when I clicked XP Mode. Somehow, I finally succeeded in creating a virtual machine with an expandable virtual disk. I was even able to add memory to the virtual machine and bring it out of hibernation but no" window within a window" has ever appeared wherein I could install older versions of software which I cannot get to run in compatability mode.

Frustrated after spending hours trying to replicate the easy installation shown in the Microsoft video tutorials, I contacted HP Tech Support.They were also unable to install XP Mode on my new machine. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that HP and I spent between 4-5 hours trying to make XP Mode work. I specifially specified Windows 7 Pro paying additional money up front which was supposedly going to permit me to extend the useful life of expensive software I already own. As far as I am concerned, the ease of installing this feature has been grossly misrepresented. I have gotten absolutely no benefit from having purchased the Pro Version of Windows 7 as opposed to having purchased the Home Version.

I note that Microsoft states that a consumer who purchases Windows 7 preinstalled on a computer is supposed to contact the computer manufacturer for tech support about the product however, HP recommended that I contact you folks because they have tried everything they know to do and have been unable to help me.

HP Tech has examined my machine. I have done complete uninstalls/reinstalls of the applicable software. I have run Microsoft FixIt which hasn't revealed any problems. What now?  

Monday, August 22, 2011 5:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• It seems that the Windows XP Mode is actually not completely installed. Have you tried to uninstall Windows XP Mode and reinstall it?

Remove Windows XP Mode, virtual machines, or Windows Virtual PC
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee431673(WS.10).aspx

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, September 5, 2011 4:05 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:16 AM
  • Hi.........I got the same problem, mine also HP......Envy 17.

Same here, I purchase the upgrade Windows 7 Professional just to use my old accounting software but unfortunately not successful, try calling HP also not solved.

At first I install XP Mode and VPC, I manage to open the XP Mode but not able to open the old accounting software, so I remove and re-install but now XP Mode totally cannot open........already tried a few times to remove and re-install.

Got another problem with upgrade Windows 7 Professional, doesn't seen to be right...........when I click Window Anytime Upgrade to key in the Product Key number, it show me error, after a few try I give up........then go back to the properties to see, the Windows edition is shown as Windows 7 Professional but the Windows activation is shown as Windows is activated but the product ID is not the ID of the Windows 7 Professional.

Does this affect the XP Mode? Please help and advise me slowly as I am not so expert in IT..........thanks.

Sunday, May 13, 2012 6:35 AM