contacts (wab.exe) oddity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, looking for something else I stumbled over the "windows contacts" (wab.exe) associations.  Windows 7 tells me that it is associated with 3 of 4 file extensions and with LDAP.  The missing (i.e., unchecked) extension is .vcf (vcard).

I then checked which program handles .vcf, and it is the same ...\Windows Mail\wab.exe as for the other three extensions - just a different option, /vcard for .vcf, /certificate for .p7c, etc.

So why does windows 7 show .vcf as "not associated" in the wab.exe (contacts) associations, when .vcf is clearly associated with wab.exe?  I'm not (yet) using wab.exe for (old) address books, I'm only curious.  It is also not a new Windows 7 oddity, Windows 7 only makes it easier to manage associations and see this discrepancy.

Friday, February 18, 2011 5:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your update.

I think I find the reason and solution: You should select “.vcf” option in Start---Default Programs---Set your default programs---Windows Contacts---Choose defaults for this programs, then click “OK”

After finish that, go to 2nd point “Associate a file type or protocol with a program, you can see .vcf file in it

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows 7 contacts associate vCard(VCF file), this format is used by many other programs. It's typically the best format to use when sharing contacts with someone who is using an earlier version of Windows or a different operation system.

So I would like to verify these situations:

1 How does Windows 7 tell you Windows Contacts do not associate .vcf file?

2 What error message did you receive when you import .vcf file to contacts?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, February 21, 2011 8:58 AM
  • Windows 7 contacts associate vCard(VCF file), this format is used by many other programs.

Yes, I'm fine with that, the oddity is where this *apparently* (not really) does not work, see your first question below.

2 What error message did you receive when you import .vcf file

As noted I do not use wab.exe, there is nothing wrong with it, no error message.  I have swapped your questions.  My issue is covered by your following first question.

1 How does Windows 7 tell you Windows Contacts do not associate

.vcf file?

I use a German windows 7 version and my attempted translation might not match what you see in an English version, therefore I try to explain precisely where I clicked what:

On the right side of the start menu the German UI offers "Standardprogramme" (standard applications) below "devices and printers".  That results in a page about file types and associations with four topics.  The 3rd and 4th points are irrelevant for this thread, the difference is between what I see for the 1st and the 2nd points.

The 2nd point is in essence a simplified GUI version of "assoc" and "ftype", and here I find "windows contacts" (wab.exe) as handler for file extension ".vcf" and file type "vcard Datei" (= vcard file).

The 1st point is about "Standardprogramme" (roughly standard/default programs/applications - I can't say what you see).  Among other things it lists "windows contacts" as a potential "standard program", and informs me that "windows contacts" owns four of five "Standards" (German, actually five is the sum of four file types and one protocol).

When I click on "Standards auswählen" (roughly: select standards, the 2nd choice for the selective configuration of association) I can see that "windows contacts" is associated with one protocol (LDAP) and three types (.contact + .group + .p7c), but allegedly *not* .vcf - as noted above that is incorrect.  Well, and while I tried to reconstruct this oddity I accidentally clicked on the 1st choice to get all available associations, so for now the observed oddity is gone.  But I'm still curious why there was this discrepancy...

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

I think I find the reason and solution: You should select “.vcf” option in Start---Default Programs---Set your default programs---Windows Contacts---Choose defaults for this programs, then click “OK”

After finish that, go to 2nd point “Associate a file type or protocol with a program, you can see .vcf file in it

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:59 AM
  • Thanks, I learned various thing, e.g., do not click on "mark as answer" before posting an otherwise ready reply, because "mark as answer" kills the reply form.  And it is "set associations", far clearer than the odd German name for this feature.  And we both found various simple ways to fix any discrepancy, but not why there was a discrepancy at all.  My best guess is now that "set associations" does more than "ftype" in the registry, and therefore a working "ftype" might be shown as unchecked on "set associations" even if that is not really true. 
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:18 AM