none
Finish date deleted automatically RRS feed

• Question

• If I delete a resource from a taks that is marked as finish, Project automatically (sometimes) marks the task as unfinished.

Is there any way to keep Project from trying to be too clever? In most cases there was minimal or no work needed, or done by someone else.. this does not matter as the task is finished and I'm only using Project for planning.

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:27 PM

Answers

• Valgarour --

Microsoft Project is not trying to be clever.  It is doing what it is programmed to do, which is to help you to manage your project schedule.  What you are doing is following bad process.  For example, to Microsoft Project, it makes no sense at all for you to remove a resource from a completed task.  So, what do you expect the software to do when you use the tool in a manner that contradicts how the software works?

Where I think you could improve your process is if you would use it as follows:

1. Completely plan your project with tasks, Durations, task dependencies, constraints (if needed), and resources assigned to tasks.
    2. Baseline your project to capture your original starting values for Start, Finish, Duration, Work, and Cost.
    3. Enter progress on a regular basis, such as weekly, for example.
    4. Analyze variance to determine if your project is slipping, for example.
    5. Revise your project based on your findings in variance analysis.

If you were to use Microsoft Project in a manner such as above, I believe you would get more consistent results.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:37 PM

All replies

• Valgarour --

Microsoft Project is not trying to be clever.  It is doing what it is programmed to do, which is to help you to manage your project schedule.  What you are doing is following bad process.  For example, to Microsoft Project, it makes no sense at all for you to remove a resource from a completed task.  So, what do you expect the software to do when you use the tool in a manner that contradicts how the software works?

Where I think you could improve your process is if you would use it as follows:

1. Completely plan your project with tasks, Durations, task dependencies, constraints (if needed), and resources assigned to tasks.
    2. Baseline your project to capture your original starting values for Start, Finish, Duration, Work, and Cost.
    3. Enter progress on a regular basis, such as weekly, for example.
    4. Analyze variance to determine if your project is slipping, for example.
    5. Revise your project based on your findings in variance analysis.

If you were to use Microsoft Project in a manner such as above, I believe you would get more consistent results.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:37 PM
  • Thanks for a quick reply.. 

But.. (as I posted in an earlier thread) MS Project hangs regularly. I was trying to circumvent this problem by deleting earlier assignments and then I thought I would re-assigning.

What happens is that sometimes MS Project deletes the finish date, and sometimes not. Please don't tell me this is normal??

I use Project for planning, which it does very well.. but not for tracking, as the tracking is awful.

I have no interest in cost or slipping or analyzis, Project simply isn't up to the "task" so I use different tools for that.

However I like to use Project for planning, as I can quickly spot problems.

So if anyone can tell me why it sometimes deletes the finish date and sometimes not.. it would help.

And of course, if the hanging bug was fixed, I would not have to worry about this at all...

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:51 PM
  • Hi Valgardur,

I've never heard of such a bug. Nevertheless MS Project has a powerful scheduling engine that requires to follow scheduling best practices. Such as not deleting a resource assigned on a task with actual work which results in loosing the actual.

That being said, many parameters could create such an unexpected behavior such as the task type (fixed work or duration), constraints on the start date, deleting actual start and finish dates, other resources assined on the same task, new task creation date parameter (project start or current date), ...

If you're willing to dig into this issue, please send me your file at guillaumeDOTrouyreATgcosiDOTcom (replace caps) with some more details and I'll be pleased to investigate.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:20 PM
  • Thanks for the offer, but I am not allowed to send the files outside the company without permission.

And in any case..

The problem with an application that hangs is something for the developer to fix. 

This particular problem (ie. this thread) only surfaced when I was trying to work my way around that bug (see  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/80ed2963-56b7-4547-bcab-210cc8af1ca4/not-responding-on-level-resource?forum=projectprofessional2010general

But thanks for the offer, I appreciate that you are willing to try.

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:09 PM