none
DPM 2012 manually installed local-remote SQL RRS feed

• Question

• I'm planning to install DPM 2012 R2. I'm a bit confused about the terminology regarding the SQL server type. I gathered there are two possibilities. 1: remote MSSQL instance, which implies installing MSSQL server manually on a remote machine, and also running DPM preparation steps on it. 2: dedicated MSSQL instance, which implies that DPM installs it automatically on the local machine, everything is prepared automatically.

I want to have MSSQL 2012 on the same machine where DPM is installed, but I want to customize MSSQL directories (not just the location of DPMDB). It seems like option 1 is not really the case because this MSSQL instance is actually local. Option 2 is also not the case because DPM automatically installs MSSQL 2008, not 2012, also without letting me specify the data directories, so I need a manual install.

Am I correct in assuming that if I manually install MSSQL 2012 on the local machine, it will be treated as a remote instance in DPM terminology, but I won't have to run certain preparation steps, because they are only relevant in a really remote machine? Is it even supported?

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:25 PM

Answers

• HI,

DPM 2012 R2 does not automatically install SQL Server like previous versions of DPM did.  You must either manually install SQL Sever locally, or chose to use a SQL instance already installed on a remote server which can also be a clustered instance.

If you install SQL locally, you are correct, you do not need to run sql prep on the server before installing DPM 2012 R2.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:35 AM