none
Long Publishing Time in PPM2010 Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project that was hung up in the queue at 80% for a long time.  It finally published after 58 minutes.  We have server patched to April 2010 CU and are using SQL 2008 clustered.  We have 4 project servers (single instance) on win 2008 R2 separate from SQL.  DBA says no bottlenecks found.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

verify time synchronisation for all your servers.

Best Regards.

Jalal Blali MCTS, MCITP

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Aside from the good advice from Jalal tell us a bit about your project. how many tasks, assignments? Duration of the project? Was this the first publish for this project?

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:45 PM
  • Brian,

There are 600 tasks and 12 resources assigned.  The duration is a little more than 1 year (11-2011 - 12-2012).  It is not the first time this project has been published.  We installed the April 2012 CU on 5-29-12.  Thanks for the help.

Tom

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Jalalblali,

All servers are and have been in sync.

Tom

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 2:37 PM
  • Hi Tom,

it may be a queue issue.

1- try to stop and start ms office project server event service and queue service in order.

2- stop and restart Project server service.

Jalal Blali MCTS, MCITP

Monday, June 11, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Tom,

Did you see this behavior before the CU? Was the Project client doing the publish also patched to April 2012 CU as well?

Was the SharePoint configuration wizard run after patching? I've seen interesting behavior come about as the databases are not at the same patch level as the code.

Was the database server set up per these recommendations? http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectadministration/archive/2009/12/04/sql-server-settings-for-performance-recommendations.aspx

Following on Brian's questions, how many baselines?

Hopefully, some of this is providing more places to look.

Treb Gatte

Monday, June 11, 2012 11:42 PM
  • Jalalblali,

This was done, but made no difference.

Tom

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:24 PM
  • Treb,

The client is at the April CU level.  I am not sure about the SP Wizard process, since our infrastructure team handles this.  However, I believe that the project itself is corrupted.  There are none of the other 300 projects having this issue.

We found a local resource that was really a task and we removed it.  We want to save a .mpp of the project, delete it from the server, then import it back into the server.  However, there is an inactive resource who's actual time cannot be lost.  The inactive resource fails when we attempt to "map resources" back in using the import wizard.  We cannot simply reactivate the resource since the Active Directory account has been removed.  The resource is still associated with this deleted AD account.   Do you have any thoughts on how we might get this resource activated to the point where we can map him back in using the Import Wizard?

Thanks,

Tom

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:30 PM
  • Tom,

There's a new function called Save for Sharing in the client that is now supposed to be the gold function for fixing corruption. However, you'll need to customize the ribbon to add the button.

Once you save it offline and then save it back, it *should* fix the issue without the hassle of the mpp route.

Thanks!

--Treb

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Tom,

If you try Treb's solution, let us know the result.

I am experiencing a similar problem with our annual "project" that collects product support time.  (200 Tasks, 15 resources).  We're on PS 2010, with CU's through December.

When I look at the queue from Server Settings / Manage Queue Jobs, I see that it's always the Reporting (Project Sync) step of the Publish job that sits at 0% complete for a long time.  When it finally kicks in, it runs pretty quickly. 

I can't tell if it's not getting started, or if its first steps before posting a percent complete are just taking a very long time.

Next fiscal year I think I'll split this thing into fiscal quarters, so I'll be "starting fresh" every three months, and have them all under a Master project.  I don't know if you have that option with what you're doing.

- Tom @ TASB

• Edited by TASB Tom Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:17 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Are you able to open the resource in question and uncheck the box for allowing them to login? How about linking it, temporarily, to a new AD account just long enough to activate them again and do the import?

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:08 PM
  • To All,

I have discovered that the long running process is the "save" from Project Pro (see below).  Note the 83 minutes to complete the save.

If I publish from PWA the process takes around 3 minutes total (see below).

To Treb,

The save above was done after doing the "save for sharing".  So this doesn't appear to work either.

To Brian,

I resource is already unchecked for login.  I tried the substitute AD account as well, but discovered that the ID is embedded in the resource's account in the project and it cannot be changed unless the project is taken out of the server (.MPP).  Then I am back in the same sticky situation.

To all,

The project is due to complete in a short period of time.  The project owner is aware that any changes in Project Pro will mean at least an hour to complete.  I know that if we remove the inactive resource and import back into the server the project will save in under 3 minutes...but we can't do that.  This the situation where we are caught between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks for all the input,

Tom

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:45 PM