'Show Desktop' icon on taskbar. RRS feed

• Question

• Yes, I know that Windows 7 has the 'Show Desktop' button moved to the extreme RHS of the taskbar, but nevertheless, I'd like to put an icon back on the lefthand side of the taskbar. I've got as far as getting the icon on to the desktop, but can't pin it to the taskbar. Can anyone suggest a means by which this might be achieved?
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:49 AM

Answers

All replies

• I think it's a dumb thing to do but:
    I know somewhere there's a way to get the quick launch bar back exactly as before; search the forums. With that, you can add the show desktop button. As for removing the new one I have no idea- I imagine that might be rather difficult.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:09 AM
  • Yes Please ! To the left.  Or make it configurable,  please.

greetz,
    w.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:44 AM
  • If you still have windows xp installed you can go to your profile folder under Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch you can copy the show desktop icon to your desktop (maybe lower left corner) then pin it to the start menu. I haven't been able to get it pinned to the taskbar yet. I'm sure this is completely unsupported.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Okay, so there's no quick launch in Windows 7, and I don't know how to pin the Show Desktop from Windows XP to the taskbar, but you can turn on the Desktop toolbar (or create a new one) and make just that one icon visible. Here's how I was able to get it to look.

http://imgur.com/coB2p.jpg
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:59 PM
  • Yes, I know that Windows 7 has the 'Show Desktop' button moved to the extreme RHS of the taskbar, but nevertheless, I'd like to put an icon back on the lefthand side of the taskbar. I've got as far as getting the icon on to the desktop, but can't pin it to the taskbar. Can anyone suggest a means by which this might be achieved?

You need to enable a toolbar in order to do it (like the quick launch of old)

Right click the taskbar,select toolbars, and click New toolbar.

Make a folder somewhere with the show desktop icon in it, and point the new toolbar wizard to that folder.

The new toolbar will show up on the right side of the taskbar, you'll have to unlock the taskbar and drag the handle on the toolbar all the way to the left that you can, and then drag the handle next to open apps / start menu to the right until the toolbar switches places, and now you a have a show desktop icon toolbar next to the Start orb.

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back with its results...

Click here for my thread on Win7 min. requirements
    - JoelbX
    • Proposed as answer by JoelbX Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:01 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:00 PM
  • I think it's a dumb thing to do but:
    I know somewhere there's a way to get the quick launch bar back exactly as before; search the forums.
    Daghead,
    The thread you are looking for is here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/61eb09af-4798-4bd2-bf11-5e9ff6b5beb6/#bfe91e02-68de-4d07-bbf3-2df4b24f2d61
    With that, you can add the show desktop button. As for removing the new one I have no idea- I imagine that might be rather difficult.
    I think the new one can't be removed.

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back with its results...

Click here for my thread on Win7 min. requirements
    - JoelbX
    • Proposed as answer by JoelbX Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, July 31, 2009 6:50 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:06 PM
  • i just posted the correct tool for those who are having difficulty's
    http://www.gpsoftuk.com/prod_showdesktop.asp
    NICK ADSL UK
    Monday, October 5, 2009 7:09 PM