none
Project Online-multiple tenants setup for DEV, TEST, PRE-PROD, PROD RRS feed

• Question

• My customer has an O365 subscription..<custName>.onmicrosoft.com.

We are trying to setup Project Online tenant(PROD).

I  have the following questions...kindly help with possible answers/options...

1. Considering an example of an on-premise environment where we have separate environments for each of PROD, TEST and DEV, can we have a similar set up for Project Online?

In other words, can I have something like Project Online Dev tenant for Development, Test tenant for Testing ?

2. Or do we have separate PWAs (DEV PWA, TEST PWA, PROD PWA) in the same tenant?
    like...<URL>/DevPwa, <URL>/TestPWA, <URL>/PRODPWA

3. What are the possibilities and advantages/limitations(if any) in the above scenarios?

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes you can have as many PWA instances as you need. It used to be limited to 3 instances, then Microsoft increased it to 7 than 9999. So you can have a prod, dev, test, training instance, etc...

You don't really have the choice, it will be on the same tenant (same O365 domain): <URL>/TestPWA, <URL>/PWA, <URL>/DevPWA

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:42 AM
  • Hello,

Having multiple PWA instances (PROD, TEST, DEV) on the same tenant is the simplest approach but there is nothing stopping you having Prod on one tenant and TEST / DEV on another tenant. You could then have your TEST / DEV tenant on first release for example to get all the latest updates to all services (SharePoint etc.) earlier so you can test this before PROD. Probably worth discussion your requirements with a Microsoft PPM partner who will be able to advise you the pros and cons for each.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Thursday, June 15, 2017 6:36 PM
  • In addition to what Guillaume already mentioned, in an ideal scenario i would like to recommend separate "Tenants" for Dev and Prod, as you can build these as part of the same tenant as different site collection but these site collections will share same tenant level features like SharePoint Lists and Libraries experience, Enterprise Social Collaboration, Sharing, Resources etc.. another important factor would be tenant level user settings like you wouldn't want to have same AD users available for Dev and Prod

Consider a scenario you want to test run a script for SharePoint at tenant level, lets say for user management or synchronization or something heavy duty and so in this case having Dev and Prod part of the same tenant brings risk, there are fair chances you may interrupt the Prod environment, not necessarily my example relates to Project Online only but in general i wanted to give you an idea of how a dev & prod being on same tenant might have an impact, consider such other scenarios like say performance tests or implement customization's may have an impact on tenant and both Dev & prod being part of it will get impacted

Even though saying so, in most of the cases i have seen with most clients, they usually host the POL site collections in same tenant for various reasons :)   

Thanks | epmXperts | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

• Edited by epmXperts Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:05 PM
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:03 PM