Error when trying to save files RRS feed

• Question

• while trying to save some edited word files I get an error message that states; word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error. C:\users\???\...\???,docx. I then have to give the file a new name.  What's with that?
    Friday, October 15, 2010 12:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Check the properties of the file prior to opening, if the "read only" box is checked this will force you to save the file with a new name. 
    Friday, October 15, 2010 3:40 PM
  • You should tell us the version of Word, Operating system and exact wording of the error.  Here are some things to check out:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212347/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311153/en-us

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire
    • Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:35 AM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:58 PM
  • I have had this same FRUSTRATING problem for over a year now.  Microsoft Office 2007 Pro completely up to date. Windows XP Pro 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office.  I have saved my files to a  new folder.  I have recreated my files to no avail, they are not read only files, I have emptied temp files, closed open programs, hopped on one foot and touched my nose. I have used Microsoft fix it software & office diagnostics, you name it I think I have tried it. 

Interestingly, I have multiple documents on my computer and there are only a select few that I have a problem with.  These files were created as a word template.   They are documents that are set up as a grid with use of tables and shading.  I use the templates to create multiple documents that I save as docx files.  Sometimes I am able to edit and save and sometimes my error message is: "word cannot complete the save due to file permission error (C:\...\vac\2010 November.docx)" I have checked file permission settings and tried to create the document and not save as a template initially.  Still same problem.  I truely think the common here is the shading + tables in these documents.   Also if I choose to save as doc (word 97-2003) I have no problem. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.   

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:51 PM