Strange problem with my mailbox/account RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure what I did, but I was finalizing a migration test from Exchange 2010 to 2016 and I did something to sort of mess up  my account but I cannot figure it out. My best guess is a power shell command I ran modified some attribute on my account or some permission somewhere in AD. I verified my AD object attributes against a restored backup and they all match. So I'm guessing it may be a permission issue, but I don't think that would be as easy to track down.

First, when I open outlook the quick steps pane is empty or rather blank for a few minutes. After a few minutes they show up.

The major problem is when granting my account full access mailbox rights to another user. The folder never shows up in my folder list. It normally shows up after 5-10 minutes. I've tried it with other accounts and it still works fine. Also after a day or so it will eventually show up in my folder list, as opposed to how it fast it used to be before I migrated/screwed up my account somehow. If I manually add it to my outlook profile I get an error Cannot expand the folder. The set of folders cannot be opened. After a day, then I can expand it.

I also have a hybrid deployment to Office 365 and I cannot access any mailboxes that I have full access to no matter how much time has passed.

I tested full access rights with other test mailboxes I created and they work with each other, normally, so it looks like it's just my account that is effected.

I'm so tempted to delete my account and recreate it, but... that's a really horrible idea. Plus I don't really need full access rights to other mailboxes and I don't really use quicksteps. Everything else works fine. This is just driving me crazy and I would like to know how to fix it if it happens to someone else.

Thanks!

Friday, January 26, 2018 9:30 PM

Answers

• I know about testexchangeconnectivity.com. I downloaded the Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer tool, works much better for testing onprem issues, as it's run from the client inside the firewall.

So here are some interesting results. When I run the "I can't log on with Office Outlook" (Check connectivity for Outlook) with my email address/username and password it works fine. As I said before every single autoconfigure test I have run against my mailbox works fine.

So I started thinking more about my question. How do I run autodiscover tests from my account against a mailbox I have full access rights to. Well I think I can do this using the "I can't view the free/busy information of another user" (Check free/busy information access) tool. Yes, this test works for what I need it to.

Couple other details. I deleted all the test users I was using prior to running these tests. I created a user called Test One, tone@mydomain.com. Test Two ttwo@mydomain.com. I created them with an onprem mailbox first. I gave all accounts full access rights to each other including my mailbox. On prem when I added full access rights to all the mailboxes they actually showed up in my outlook pretty much immediately. So I don't think this is an onprem issue.

So I migrated tone@mydomain.com to office 365. My mailbox lost the ability to connect to the mailbox after it was moved to office 365. Test Two can successfully access the mailbox after it was moved to office 365. So strange! My outlook locks up every time I try to access the Test One account after it was moved.

So onto the test. Here are the parameters of the test from my account to Test One on office 365,

Test Parameters:

Connectivity Tests Metadata
    Symptom: I can't view the free/busy information of another user
    Parameters
    FreeBusySourceMailboxPassword : System.Security.SecureString
    FreeBusySourceMailboxEmailAddress : myemail@mydomain.com
    FreeBusyManualSettings : False
    UsingSSO : False
    ManualSettings : False
    FreeBusyUseAutodiscover : True
    OlaUseAutodiscover : True
    FreeBusyTargetEmailAddress : tone@mydomain.com
    IsGallatin : False
    FreeBusySourceMailboxLogonId : myemail@mydomain.com
    UiCulture : en-US
    ConnectivityTest: FreeBusy

Results:

The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer is attempting to retrieve an XML Autodiscover response from URL https://autodiscover-s.outlook.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml for user tone@myonlinename.mail.onmicrosoft.com.
    The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer failed to obtain an Autodiscover XML response.
    Tell me more about this issue and how to resolve it
    Additional Details
    Additional Details: An HTTP 456 Unauthorized response was received from the remote Unknown server. This indicates that the user may not have logged on for the first time, or the account may be locked. To logon, go to http://portal.microsoftonline.com. 

Not sure why this is happening.

So why is this happening?!? Answer: Multi factor Authentication! Blah. As soon as I disabled multi factor auth on my account everything started working.

Damn it, so much wasted time because of this. Why hasn't Microsoft figured out how to fully integrate multi factor auth into all of their products yet? This is a big problem in my eyes.

• Edited by jlongjr Sunday, January 28, 2018 11:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by jlongjr Sunday, January 28, 2018 11:06 PM
    Sunday, January 28, 2018 11:03 PM

All replies

• Run set-mailbox yourid and see if that is fixing. 

Normally, outlook will do a autodiscover every 5 min once and that may be the reason it is taking some time to show the additional mailbox on your mailbox which you granted the full access permission. 

you can test E-Mailbox Autoconfiguration in outlook to see whether the additional mailbox showing up in the log.

Saturday, January 27, 2018 10:42 AM
  • Running set-mailbox didn't modify anything because there were no changes.

Every single autoconfiguration test I have run is successful. No problems at all. This is why I think there is a security rights issue. With the exception of the mailbox on Office 365 not being listed under the Alternative mailbox section.

Is there a way to test autoconfiguration against a mailbox you have rights to?

Thanks,

John

Saturday, January 27, 2018 11:08 PM
  • Use testexchangeconnectivity.com
    Sunday, January 28, 2018 6:41 AM
  • I know about testexchangeconnectivity.com. I downloaded the Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer tool, works much better for testing onprem issues, as it's run from the client inside the firewall.

So here are some interesting results. When I run the "I can't log on with Office Outlook" (Check connectivity for Outlook) with my email address/username and password it works fine. As I said before every single autoconfigure test I have run against my mailbox works fine.

So I started thinking more about my question. How do I run autodiscover tests from my account against a mailbox I have full access rights to. Well I think I can do this using the "I can't view the free/busy information of another user" (Check free/busy information access) tool. Yes, this test works for what I need it to.

Couple other details. I deleted all the test users I was using prior to running these tests. I created a user called Test One, tone@mydomain.com. Test Two ttwo@mydomain.com. I created them with an onprem mailbox first. I gave all accounts full access rights to each other including my mailbox. On prem when I added full access rights to all the mailboxes they actually showed up in my outlook pretty much immediately. So I don't think this is an onprem issue.

So I migrated tone@mydomain.com to office 365. My mailbox lost the ability to connect to the mailbox after it was moved to office 365. Test Two can successfully access the mailbox after it was moved to office 365. So strange! My outlook locks up every time I try to access the Test One account after it was moved.

So onto the test. Here are the parameters of the test from my account to Test One on office 365,

Test Parameters:

Connectivity Tests Metadata
    Symptom: I can't view the free/busy information of another user
    Parameters
    FreeBusySourceMailboxPassword : System.Security.SecureString
    FreeBusySourceMailboxEmailAddress : myemail@mydomain.com
    FreeBusyManualSettings : False
    UsingSSO : False
    ManualSettings : False
    FreeBusyUseAutodiscover : True
    OlaUseAutodiscover : True
    FreeBusyTargetEmailAddress : tone@mydomain.com
    IsGallatin : False
    FreeBusySourceMailboxLogonId : myemail@mydomain.com
    UiCulture : en-US
    ConnectivityTest: FreeBusy

Results:

The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer is attempting to retrieve an XML Autodiscover response from URL https://autodiscover-s.outlook.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml for user tone@myonlinename.mail.onmicrosoft.com.
    The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer failed to obtain an Autodiscover XML response.
    Tell me more about this issue and how to resolve it
    Additional Details
    Additional Details: An HTTP 456 Unauthorized response was received from the remote Unknown server. This indicates that the user may not have logged on for the first time, or the account may be locked. To logon, go to http://portal.microsoftonline.com. 

Not sure why this is happening.

So why is this happening?!? Answer: Multi factor Authentication! Blah. As soon as I disabled multi factor auth on my account everything started working.

Damn it, so much wasted time because of this. Why hasn't Microsoft figured out how to fully integrate multi factor auth into all of their products yet? This is a big problem in my eyes.

• Edited by jlongjr Sunday, January 28, 2018 11:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by jlongjr Sunday, January 28, 2018 11:06 PM
    Sunday, January 28, 2018 11:03 PM
  • After thinking about this for a while, there were points in time where I was prompted for my outlook password. I wonder if I entered my multi factor app password if that would have worked. Most likely the answer is yes. But for now I'm just going to leave multi factor auth disabled.
    Monday, January 29, 2018 1:22 AM