none
Adding Scale-Out File servers to DPM2012 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• One of our file clusters hosts a couple of 'normal' file servers and Scale-Out file servers. The cluster contains 2 virtual servers running Windows Server 2012.

Our DPM 2012 SP1 server runs on a HP StoreEasy 1630 and is already protecting the 'normal' file servers. The only problem we have is that the Scale-Out file servers can't be added as a protected resource. This is what we try to do:

- Modify the Protection Group

- Expand the file cluster

- Expand the cluster resource (one of the scale-out file servers)

- The hourglass stays there for a bit while he's scanning the resource (?), ends up with nothing and there's nothing to add

This problem occurs only with the scale-out file servers and not with the other file server cluster resources in the same cluster. I've tried to clear the cache (in the same window as adding the resources) but that didn't have any effect.

Is there anything I missed or are there some compatibility issues?

Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• One of our file clusters hosts a couple of 'normal' file servers and Scale-Out file servers. The cluster contains 2 virtual servers running Windows Server 2012.

Our DPM 2012 SP1 server runs on a HP StoreEasy 1630 and is already protecting the 'normal' file servers. The only problem we have is that the Scale-Out file servers can't be added as a protected resource. This is what we try to do:

- Modify the Protection Group

- Expand the file cluster

- Expand the cluster resource (one of the scale-out file servers)

- The hourglass stays there for a bit while he's scanning the resource (?), ends up with nothing and there's nothing to add

This problem occurs only with the scale-out file servers and not with the other file server cluster resources in the same cluster. I've tried to clear the cache (in the same window as adding the resources) but that didn't have any effect.

Is there anything I missed or are there some compatibility issues?

Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

DPM does not support protecting scale-out file servers (SOFS) for file shares. 

As per the below TechNet articles, DPM 2012 Sp1 + R2 only support protecting Hyper-V VM's hosted on SOFS.

Protecting Hyper-V Virtual Machines
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757970.aspx

Configure DPM backup for virtual machines using SMB storage
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757866.aspx#bkmk_protectvmwithsmb

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:56 PM
  • Thank you for the information. I've made a workaround by using a script which copies the files to a secondary location. This secondary location has been added to the backup.
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 9:32 AM
  • I'm using 2012 R2 and I'm guessing this is STILL not supported ???? .. really ? So I have no protection for SOFS ?

That will make me re-think using SOFS..    

• Edited by SteveLith Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:22 PM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:22 PM
  • The TechNet Articles do not mention Scale Out File Servers nor SOFS.

Is there a TechNet article that specifically states that "DPM does not support protecting scale-out file servers (SOFS) for file shares"?

Friday, February 28, 2014 2:54 PM

• Hi,

This is the TechNet article detailing the restriction.

Unsupported Scenarios for DPM
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn554221.aspx

DPM can’t protect SOFS shares
    Issue: DPM can’t protect shares on SOFS.
    Workaround: Ensure shares you want to protect aren’t located on SOFS.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 28, 2014 6:55 PM