none
Strange entry in DHCP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    lately, when I turn off or start some windows 10 clients, with mcAfee and traps (paloaltonetworks) antivirus installed on,  some entries are written on the dhcp with the same ip and mac address of the pc

For example, if I start the client ABCD.DOMAIN.COM, on the dhcp, I also find an entry in the log DASH.DOMAIN.COM with the same ip and mac address of ABCD.DOMAIN.COM, the same thing happens when I turn off the client

Have you any idea?

DHCP role is on a windows 2008 R2 server

Regards

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 11:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

According to your description, the other client has the same IP and MAC address. Is there a client that Hostname is DASH.DOMAIN.COM in your environment? Does your ABCD.DOMAIN.COM client have a alias (CNAME record in DNS) that is DASH? Could you post your log in detail to help you better?

Best regards,

Hollis

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 29, 2019 5:56 AM
  • Hi Hollis,

thanx for replying me 

Our client have no alias or cname record and no "DASH" client has ever existed in our environment

Yesterday we continued to investigate, so we realized that the clients with the problem are from the same vendor, and all the motherboard have this name:

ASROCK XXXX DASH

For your information, these pcs are assigned to the internal users and so, when a user leaves the organization:
    we remove the client from the domain, format the C disk, with an image we install the OS, add it to the domain and assign them to a new user

Can this procedure cause a sort of loopback on the network?

Have you any idea?

Best Regards

Marco

Thursday, August 29, 2019 10:32 AM
  • Hi,

Could you check your client address lease on your DHCP server and A record of ABCD.DOMAIN.com on DNS server? if they are all correct, your client network and DNS resolution have no issue. It will work well, and not cause loopback on the network.

Best regards,

Hollis

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 30, 2019 6:56 AM
  • Hi ,

the lease and the DNS are ok

Have you any other idea?

Regards

Friday, August 30, 2019 7:34 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, your DHCP lease and the DNS are all ok, so your network is ok. May I look over and check the DHCP log? Could you post log?

Best regards,

Hollis

Monday, September 2, 2019 5:54 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if your question is resolved? Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Hollis

Friday, September 6, 2019 8:21 AM