none
INTERNET EXPLORER 7 WINDOWS XP 32BIT - CLOSING OPENING CERTAIN WEBSITES RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are experiencing issues on our work network with IE 7 instantly closing accessing certain websites. Sometimes an error message is provided stating;

"SysFader: IEXPLORE.EXE - Application Error

The instruction "0x3cf51ffe" referenced memory at "0x00000018". The Memory could not be "read".

Click ok to terminate program."

We have found that this issue started to occur after installing the IE7 Security Patch KB2817183, uninstalling this patch allowed us to access the websites again but this shouldn't be the answer. Also the two recent patches do not resolve this error we are receiving.

We have tried loading IE without add-ons which didn't work also Microsoft Fix it is not something that would work on our network as it's contact to the internet would be blocked.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced

• Edited by Stevhen Tuesday, July 2, 2013 11:25 AM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 11:21 AM

All replies

• "SysFader: IEXPLORE.EXE - Application Error

Pretty mysterious module name.   FWIW I don't have it but have had modules which contain some kind of reference to it.  Once I thought it was in browseui.dll.   However, I haven't seen it there again for a long time so perhaps what I found was just an artifact of somebody's compile?  Others claim that it has something to do with their video support.  If that is true it would be worthwhile testing with a related compatibility option in IE9 and above: Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering (requires restart, in Options, Advanced tab).

As usual I think the most interesting thing to do would be to find out who calls it.  To do that you need the Stack Back Trace of the crashing thread.  And to do that you need to format a dump.  You can also try guessing from the information given by programs such as ProcExp and ProcMon which at least provide a list of loaded modules per task and supposedly in an order related to their last use.   ResMon may provide similar, even less specific clues.

The instruction "0x3cf51ffe" referenced memory at "0x00000018". The Memory could not be "read".

That could be a useful clue.  Which module is loaded there?  Or normally loaded there?

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, July 7, 2013 1:37 PM
  •     "SysFader: IEXPLORE.EXE - Application Error

Once I thought it was in browseui.dll.

Just did another search for it (in IE10 level modules):

<cmd_output OS="W7sp1+IE10">

C:\Windows\System32>findstr /s /m /i ".S.y.s.f.a.d.e.r" *.dll
    ieframe.dll
    shell32.dll
    </cmd_output>

And fortunately, by now someone has written something definitive about it, instead of all the (plausible) speculations

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2012/08/09/10334564.aspx
    (Microsoft search for
        sysfader site:msdn.com
    )

<quotes>

SysFader is a helper window used by Internet Explorer to perform fade-out animations.

when the crash dialog appears and looks around for a window to put in the title, it says "Rats, I don't have any visible windows, but I do have this invisible one, so I'll go ahead and put that one in the title bar. Better than nothing."

Bonus chatter: You probably recognize the exception code as an unhandled C++ exception. Internet Explorer doesn't use C++ exceptions, so the exception most likely came from a plug-in.

</quotes>

Thanks for making me find this!

Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, July 7, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Thank you Robert for your comments.
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 12:10 PM