none
Hyper-V backup exclude System Volume Information/Pagefile/etc. RRS feed

• Question

• I've noticed that Hyper-V backups were generating a lot more changed data for the guests after converting physical machines to VM's.  My guess is that is because the normal DPM exclusions (e.g. System Volume Information, paging files, etc.) are not getting excluded from the backup of the Hyper-V guest.

Is it true that DPM does not exclude anything within the Hyper-V guest including pagefiles and System Volume Information? 

Based on the thread here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/730d008a-9eab-4c37-a678-9d598dead574/how-to-ignore-a-volume-during-a-hyperv-child-partition-backup?forum=dpmhypervbackup

it isn't possible to move these items to a separate volume and exclude them, correct?

I realize we can run the DPM agent within the Hyper-V guest but that defeats the purpose of simplifying backups and the goal of restoring a VM anywhere on the infrastructure. 

Will the Hyper-V writer used to capture the Hyper-V guest respect the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup"? 

Is there any other registry change that can be made in the host or the guest to cause the particular files to be removed from a Hyper-V snapshot? 

My guess is no, but I thought I would ask.

Rob

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 5:24 PM

Answers

All replies