SP Foundation Does not install (Doesn't do anything??) RRS feed

• Question

• Prior to doing an install on my clients system I brought up a VPC with Win2008 and ran the install for Foundation 2010 as admin. It unpacked a few things and brought up the main menu. The Prepare reads all work and the Install prereqs and install SPF appear to click but nothing happens.

Tried it on a Win7 too. Same results.. Each time was as fresh DL from the SP site.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Pat NH USA

Pat Tormey PE MVP Client App Dev
    Friday, January 21, 2011 12:55 PM

Answers

• When you say that you are using a VPC are you using Virtual PC?  If so it won't work.  SharePoint requires that it be installed on 64 bit OS which Virtual PC doesn't support.  If you are using Hyper-V, VMWare, or Virtual Box with a 64 bit copy of Win 2008 then make sure you've got at least about 3 GB of memory in the virtual machine or the install won't run.

If you want to install it on Win7, that also needs to be 64 bit.  I've got a step by step blog post that will walk you thorugh the Win7 install here:

http://www.dontpapanic.com/blog/?p=96

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by Pat Tormey Friday, January 21, 2011 2:33 PM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 1:35 PM

All replies

• When you say that you are using a VPC are you using Virtual PC?  If so it won't work.  SharePoint requires that it be installed on 64 bit OS which Virtual PC doesn't support.  If you are using Hyper-V, VMWare, or Virtual Box with a 64 bit copy of Win 2008 then make sure you've got at least about 3 GB of memory in the virtual machine or the install won't run.

If you want to install it on Win7, that also needs to be 64 bit.  I've got a step by step blog post that will walk you thorugh the Win7 install here:

http://www.dontpapanic.com/blog/?p=96

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by Pat Tormey Friday, January 21, 2011 2:33 PM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 1:35 PM
  • Thanks Paul, You know, I knew that but forgot..<g>

I'll chank up my Hyper-V box and try again..

Although some software installs give you a message that says Requires 64 bit <g> I don't know maybe under the prerequsites?

Again thanks...

Pat Tormey PE MVP Client App Dev
    Friday, January 21, 2011 2:36 PM