windows xp is not installing in i3 desktop processor RRS feed

• Question

• How to install Win XP on PC with intel i3 processoe running win7
    Hi,
    I am working with a legacy system. My programs run with Windows XP, and older excel only.
    Now a days I can not get PC with Windows XP so we got windows 7 Home premium system running on intel i3 processor desktop.
    I am trying to install windows XP professional. The installation stops with "0x0000007b" error.
    Since the new PC had SATA HDD and CD ROM, I was told that windows XP installation does not have support for SATA drives, at the same time If I want to install the drivers it only looks for the floppy drive. Thus it is difficult to install the drives.
    Also when I was talking to Dell Tech support person, He said that I can not install Windows XP on Intel i3 processor. I do not believe but I will defer this to expert.
    Can any one help?
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:23 PM

All replies

• This is what is refered to as not having the correct drivers for your hard drive storage controller.  You will have to go to the Support website of your system or motherboard and see if there are Windows XP drivers for you system.  You can also check the Intel website to see if they have Windows XP drivers for your system.

The is not a Windows XP problem and Microsoft has no fix for it.

You MUST have the correct drivers to put on a floppy disk drive and provide them during installation of Windows XP.

Dell Tech Support personnel are the experts for Dell system and if the Tech Support person tells you Windows XP cannot be installed, then believe him!  He knows more about the capability of a Dell system than anyone here!

This is a Microsoft website, not a Dell website nor an Intel website.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 4:16 PM
  • What you need to do is download and install Windows XP Mode which requires Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise edition.  If you happen to be using Windows 7 Home Edition, you can purchase Windows Anytime Upgrade: Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional.  This by far the easiest thing to do instead of trying to install Windows XP by itself.

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 11:25 PM