network drivers RRS feed

• Question

• We have proven, thanks to our Network team that the port is at 1GB.  We kick off an OSD for a Dell Latitude E7270 laptop and our network team was monitoring.  It is at 1GB.  It formats the drive.  It lays down the OS, it installs the driver pack.  It installs the CM2012 client.  Then it starts to install apps and it changes from 1GB network speed to 10MB.  our network team monitored this time and time again.   

What would cause the network card in the middle of a OSD deployment to do that?  

Monday, September 18, 2017 9:48 PM

Answers

• We knew it was not installed because when the build died we reboot and can get into Windows.  Device Manager has nothing and doing a search with the command lines shows nothing installed.  But I did get it to work.

Within the task sequence I did an Auto Apply Drives letting cm2012 decide which is best.  this worked.

• Marked as answer by bellmonster Wednesday, September 20, 2017 2:14 PM
    Wednesday, September 20, 2017 2:14 PM

All replies

• If I had to guess, it would be a NIC driver issue. What speed does the NIC driver say the computer is at during the deployment. 

Garth Jones

Blog: http://www.enhansoft.com/blog Old Blog: http://smsug.ca/blogs/garth_jones/default.aspx

Twitter: @GarthMJ Book: System Center Configuration Manager Reporting Unleased

Monday, September 18, 2017 10:11 PM
  • It is before the desktop is present.    I will try using PowerSell from a command line.   more to come....
    Monday, September 18, 2017 11:28 PM
  •  It formats the drive.  It lays down the OS, it installs the driver pack.  It installs the CM2012 client.  

Hi,

Agree with Garth.

This may be a driver issue. How do you install the driver? Is it automatically or specifying a driver package?

If it is the former, probably because the drive does not match, I suggest you use the driver package.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 3:25 AM
  • I specify a driver package.   I downloaded from Dell their SCCM driver pack for the E7270 (Windows 7 x32 and x64).  I then imported the entire driver set and created a driver Package.   I then add that driver package to the task sequence and I add this logic within a WMI Query

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model like '%Latitude E7270%'

When the task sequence runs it shows that the correct driver package is running and it takes about 10 min to download and run this E7270 driver package.   But nothing seems to be getting installed.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:08 PM

•  But nothing seems to be getting installed.

Hi,

How do you confirm that it is not installed?

By review smsts.log on the client to track task sequence, review Setupapi.dev.log on under %windir%\inf to confirm driver install status.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Lorry Luo Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:16 AM
    Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:16 AM
  • We knew it was not installed because when the build died we reboot and can get into Windows.  Device Manager has nothing and doing a search with the command lines shows nothing installed.  But I did get it to work.

Within the task sequence I did an Auto Apply Drives letting cm2012 decide which is best.  this worked.

• Marked as answer by bellmonster Wednesday, September 20, 2017 2:14 PM
    Wednesday, September 20, 2017 2:14 PM