Windows 7 Explorer Sorting slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we sometimes have problems with sorting files in explorer (for example sorting 5 files by date or name or type etc..). it can take up sometimes 10 minutes... you see the green bar growing and growing....

i have checked the folder option customize and it is set to "General Items".

This happens on 2003 and 2008 r2 network shares. When i sort on local drive this works

2003 share is not indexed

2008 r2 is indexed

Booting in safe mode did also not help

Anyone out there with the same problem?

Any help?

Thanks

• Edited by selko Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:41 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I just want to know if you could open these folders and files properly.

Sinceit works fine with the local machine, I suggest that you may upgrade the NIC driver then temporarily disable the security software. Then check the issue again.

Also you may try following steps to turn off checksum offloading on the network adapter:

Notice: Please backup the registry key before modify in following steps:

1.       ClickStart, type regedit in the Search Bar, and then press Enter.

2.       Locate and then click the following registry subkey(right click the item then click to Export to backup this item):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

3.       In the right pane, make sure that the DisableTaskOffload registry entry exists. If this entry does not exist, follow these steps to add the entry:

a. On theEdit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

b. TypeDisableTaskOffload, and then press ENTER.

4.       ClickDisableTaskOffload.

5.       On theEdit menu, click Modify.

6.       Type1 in the Value data box, and then press ENTER.

7.       Exit Registry Editor.

If there any unclear, please feel free and let me know.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:39 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem, Gigabit ethernet, and every Windows7 machine on my network (5 machines) are affected, not only when trying to access folders on my WHS (Server 2003) shares, but also on other Win7 shares over the network.

I have tried everything, set folder content type to "general", but I always get that green progressbar in the addressline, taking forever. When I press the red "x" right to the bar, the process is stopped, but nothing sorted.

Why is Win7 having so huge problems sorting my folders? No problem in XP, this only happens with Windows 7 explorer.

To me it looks like a general Win7 phenomena, since I have seen the same behaviour on other networks with totally different NICs, switches, etc. involved at other peoples homes. So there must be something generally really wrong :(

Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:54 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem, Gigabit ethernet, and every Windows7 machine on my network (5 machines) are affected, not only when trying to access folders on my WHS (Server 2003) shares, but also on other Win7 shares over the network.

I have tried everything, set folder content type to "general", but I always get that green progressbar in the addressline, taking forever. When I press the red "x" right to the bar, the process is stopped, but nothing sorted.

Why is Win7 having so huge problems sorting my folders? No problem in XP, this only happens with Windows 7 explorer.

To me it looks like a general Win7 phenomena, since I have seen the same behaviour on other networks with totally different NICs, switches, etc. involved at other peoples homes. So there must be something generally really wrong :(

We have discovered if we stop indexing service on the filer then it works
    Friday, October 14, 2011 5:58 AM

We have discovered if we stop indexing service on the filer then it works

Hi Selko,

can you please tell me how exactly to do that?

Thanks alot.

Friday, October 14, 2011 6:15 AM
  • You go to your indexed share (on the server and stop windows search service) but this is not a solution....
    Friday, October 14, 2011 6:32 AM