none
Create a project without publishing? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a scenario which to my admittedly amateur eyes seems obvious, but do not understand how this is achieved.

Projects should adhere to a template, which I can set to the enterprise project type.

It should be possible to create a project in PWA in order to enter general information, but not have the project schedule published until the user has updated the default values from the template, otherwise management sees garbage.

Is it possible to create a project in PWA without it being automatically published?  If this is not possible, then what is wrong with my approach?

Many thanks.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:03 PM

All replies

• Nicodemus88 --

When you create a new enterprise project using the PWA interface, the software ALWAYS publishes the new project immediately.  So your approach will never work.

The way to avoid this is to create the new project using the Microsoft Project interface instead.  Launch Microsoft Project and connect to Project Server.  Click File > New > Enterprise Templates, select the template, and then click the OK button.  Then click File > Save, give the project a name, and then click the Save button to save the project in the Project Server database.  This action will save the project but will not publish the project.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:05 PM
  • Good day Dale,

Thanks for the advice, however I am already familiar with this and it defeats the purpose.

Management would like to see all projects (even if their schedule is not ready) in the system.  If you create in local MS Project, you can work with the schedule but the project does not appear in PWA Project Center, thus management cannot see their full project list.

I guess what I need is an uncommon requirement (kind of surprising, but ok).

It appears that my choices are:

1.  do not attribute a template to the enterprise project type, or

2.  attribute a template, and instruct PMs to clear the project plan if they are not yet ready to fill this (and do a copy-paste from the template later)

Any further suggestions welcome, otherwise thanks again for confirming what I suspected.

• Edited by Nicodemus88 Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:34 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:32 PM
  • Nicodemus88 --

As you already know, your management is creating this problem, not Project Server.  Why do they think they need to see a project when it is not ready to go live?

Regarding your two other options, I would strongly caution you against using either of them since this would involve copying and pasting tasks from another enterprise project into a new project.  Copying and pasting entire task rows is the leading cause of project corruption, so if you follow this path, you will likely end up with many corrupted projects.

So, this takes me back to your managers.  Is there no way that you can tell them that they should only see projects in PWA when the projects are ready to go live?  Anyway, I have no further suggestions, but perhaps others in this community can give you some additional ideas.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Thanks Dale, I understand your view and that would seem to make sense.

Although projects are "not ready to go live", I can reasonably see a scenario where a project should be entered into the server in "draft" format, without wishing to formally publish the schedule.  This would allow the PM to fill key project information fields, and have a working schedule until such time as they publish.  This would also allow management to have at least the full high level view of all projects - both active and proposed - and their key informations.

While I understand your position, I think my description of the scenario and needs is not out of line with reasonable expectations.  

How do you normally deal with project proposals where the schedule is not yet completed, but the proposal still needs to be visible?

In any case, I have researched enough to be well aware of the dangers of the practice of "copy-pasting" schedule tasks and take all precautions to avoid users doing this.  However I do not expect many problems with copy-pasting from a template into a BLANK schedule at the start of its creation.

Thanks again,

-Nick

• Edited by Nicodemus88 Sunday, February 17, 2013 1:11 PM
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 1:08 PM
  • Nick --

Why don�??t you have your PMs build a skeleton plan with only a few tasks that would represent the eventual summary tasks when the project is completed?  For example, they could enter three tasks named something like Phase I, Phase II, and Phase III.  Then they could link the three tasks and fill in estimated Duration values for the tasks.  And then they could publish the project so that the executives could see the high-level information for the project.

And after publishing the project for this first time, you PMs would not publish the project again until it is ready to go live.  This means that all the executives could see is the high level task information, and nothing more.  And then when the project is ready to go live, the PM would publish the project again, making the final completed project visible to the executives.

Would that work for you?  Let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Sunday, February 17, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Hi,

Apologies for jumping in here....  Why don't you create a Project_Status field, which uses a lookup table along the lines of Approves; Schedule Ready; Started; Completed etc, then have a PWA view that groups the project by Project_Status.  Your management can see all projects, and understand which have valid schedules.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Sunday, February 17, 2013 10:36 PM
  • It's a nice idea to have them create the plan only at high level.  Makes sense.  Somewhat conflicting with the desire to have them use a generic full project template though.  They could start at high level, but then when they go to refine, it's nice if they are still able to make use of a standard template, as our projects should follow a set of tasks which should always be followed.  It would be nice (not to mention minimise errors) if they can work off a standard template from the beginning, rather than going in later and entering tasks, or copying from a template.  Oh well.  I'll figure it out.
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:47 PM
  • This, frankly, is the simplest and best solution and the option that I had considered as the most straightforward way to manage it.

I think this is the way I will proceed.  Funnily enough, the Division head already has requested a field indicating the project status, so I will just tell him that he should refer to that (or I can create appropriate views filtering on this field) in order to see the projects with known schedules vs. "draft" schedules.

Thanks all!

Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:48 PM