none
Inventory of Computers - Failed Access Denied RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to inventory the machines on my network and am getting Failed Access Denied no matter what machine I try to inventory.  To speed testing along I have limited the inventory to one machine at a time but no luck.  I have setup everything through Group Policy per the documentation.  I have used wbemtest with the domain admin credentials and can successfully connect to the machine.  I have disabled Symantec on the machine to be certain.  No luck.

I have a mixture of XP and Windows 7 machines and the behavior is the same. 

Friday, April 11, 2014 7:31 PM

All replies

• I am trying to inventory the machines on my network and am getting Failed Access Denied no matter what machine I try to inventory.  To speed testing along I have limited the inventory to one machine at a time but no luck.  I have setup everything through Group Policy per the documentation.  I have used wbemtest with the domain admin credentials and can successfully connect to the machine.  I have disabled Symantec on the machine to be certain.  No luck.

I have a mixture of XP and Windows 7 machines and the behavior is the same. 

Same situation with me.

We tried using different accounts that are all in a group that is in the local administrators group, but we get "Access Denied" for every single system in the scan range.

Test with the same user account(s) through WBEMTEST work fine.

Adding credentials for local administrator accounts technically solves the problem as machines where these local accounts work will be scanned then.

So local administrator accounts allow a scan, domain administrator accounts added through groups do not work for MAP scans. 

In an organisation with global spread and several thousand systems on the network we have to use the domain administrator accounts though.

Would anybody have an idea why the domain administrator accounts do not work in the role-based layout?

Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:27 PM
  • In the Inventory Wizard are you entering the domain credentials as domain\user or user@domain? Are the credentials a member of the Domain Admins group? The Domain Admins group is automatically added to a machine's local Administrators account when he machine is joined to the domain. This is configurable, so it may be different in your environment.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:40 PM