none
Project Server 2010 Playbooks tool RRS feed

  • Question

  • I just installed the Playbooks 2010 tool in my Dev environment. I installed it on the server that has our PWA instance on it and while trying to do the initial backup, got an error "Server cannot be reached". I am the admin on the server and for PWA, doublechecked urls, etc. I seem to recall seeing this once with the 2007 version but don't recall the solution. If anyone has a suggestion, it would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Jeff

    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:24 PM

Answers

  • It turned out there was a problem with the hosts file that I had not been aware of. Once we changed that, everything worked.

    Thanks for the input everyone!

    Jeff

    • Marked as answer by jcu123 Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:51 PM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:51 PM

All replies

  • Did it run part way and then stop working....or was it not able to connect
    to the PWA instance in the first place.
     
     

    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 5:29 PM
    Moderator
  • not able to connect at all, I see an http 404 error in the logs.

    Jeff

    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Usually that's a security issue - or the URL is incorrect.  Try running it
    from your own desktop while logged in as yourself.  Confirm that the local
    server account you're using has admin rights within PWA.
     
    Also make sure you're entering the URL correctly: http://myserver/pwa
     
     

    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:16 PM
    Moderator
  • I had confirmed both the URL and account permissions before submitting the question just to make sure I had not missed anything. I just rechecked and everything is correct that way.

    Jeff

    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Have you tried connecting to the actual server name, or are you using the AAM?

    Sometimes I find it works when I connect with http://demo2010a/PWA (server name) instead of http://project.contoso.com/PWA (AAM name).

     


    Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:03 AM
    Moderator
  • It turned out there was a problem with the hosts file that I had not been aware of. Once we changed that, everything worked.

    Thanks for the input everyone!

    Jeff

    • Marked as answer by jcu123 Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:51 PM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Jeff,

    Could you elaborate on what exactly you did to the hosts file?

    I'm having the same problem, although, oddly enough, it connects fine when I run Playbooks from my desktop (failing later due not being able to load Microsoft.Sharepoint assembly, which is expected), but fails to connect when I run it on the machine that has the PWA instance.  URL that I use to connect from two differnt places is the same.  I've also checked permissions and to the best of my knowledge they are correct.

    I remote desktop to the server that runs PWA instance, on which I am an administrator, and the I'm also in the Administrators group in PWA and so is the workflow proxy account.

    Any help would be much appreciated!

    Ilya

    UPDATE: I tried using DM Export Tool from Microsoft Solution Starter Kit instead and it connects fine when run from PWA instance machine, but fails about 6% into the process with "The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized" error.

    UPDATE: the URL is NOT of form http://servername/pwa.  It is a different folder name, not pwa.
    • Edited by Rockmus Monday, October 3, 2011 10:20 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2011 9:07 PM
  • While this appears to have been answered via a Hosts file, that's only a workaround. It doesn't point to the cause.

    Another solution can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861 - Specify Host Names or Disable the LoopBack Check.

    The reason you get the error? According to that article: "authentication fails if the FQDN or the custom host header that you use does not match the local computer name." - It's a security feature that's been in place for a while now.

    Edit: To get every setting backed-up (no errors on PDPs) as well as restored, you have to run the tool on-server (as you did) and as the Farm Account (in the respective environments. Otherwise, you'll get errors that the tool was unable to read the database when it gets to the PDPs. Note the Farm account would need to have Administrative Rights within the Project Server environment (PWA), as well, in order to log in.

    Hopefully that helps!

    Dave Dunn


    Dave Dunn


    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:54 AM