Formatting USB flash drives flash cards, USB / Firewire connected hard drives: Very SLOW! RRS feed

• Question

• Ever since I started using Vista, one of the big annoyances I've had is the really slow format time for USB flash drives, USB / firewire connected hard drives and flash cards (SD cards, memory sticks, compact flash cards in respective USB card readers).

I've been experiencing this on three different PC's running different versions of Vista.  PC1 is running Vista Business w/ SP1.  It's a Dell w/ a Q6600, 2GB of RAM and a 320GB SATA hard drive.

PC2 is running Vista Home Premium w/ SP1.  Has an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, Athlon 3500+, 2GB of RAM and a 120GB SATA hard drive.

PC3 is running Vista Ultimate x64 w/ SP1.  Asus P5Q-EM, Q6600, 8GB of RAM, 300GB VelociRaptor + 150GB Raptor.

I've tried formatting USB flash drives, USB / firewire connected hard drives and flash cards (in USB card readers) on all three PCs.  Tried on PC1 and PC2 before and after SP1 was installed and on the 3rd computer only after SP1 was installed.

In all cases, formatting these devices takes forever.  With PC2 and 3 running Windows XP, formatting these devices was extremely fast.  In all cases, I did not choose the quick format.

Anyone know of a fix for this?
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 12:29 PM

All replies