Sequencing JAR files (a.k.a. sequencing client side JAVA) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear,

During a prove of concept with App-V (4.5 cummulative update 1) in SCCM 2007 R2 SP1 integrated mode we found the following problem.

"how can we create a virtual package that contains shortcuts to jar files that is linked to the virtualised JRE (so 2 virtual apps working together)".

In Detail:
    1 install the Jave JRE (in our case 1.6.0_14) on the (virtual) sequencing box.
    2 start the sequencer and install the java application. In our case that is a few JAR files (file copy) where only one is called from several shortcuts (each pointing to javaw.exe with the same JAR file and configuration file that changes per shortcut).
    3. reset the sequencer to its original state , start the sequencer and do the JRE.

Step 2 is causing the problem. We are not able to create a working virutal package. It simply doesn't seem to work.  

Does anyone have any suggestion (packaging the JRE together with the JARs/shortcuts is not a working option for us)?

Thanks.

Kind regards,
    Alain VDP.

Friday, October 23, 2009 11:09 AM

Answers

• And another update on this.

1. Is our SCCM infrastructure working correctly? Yes it is. I virtualized powerpoint viewer 2007 and that ran correctly (concluseion SCCM OK)
    2. I rechecked the virtual package for the Java application. It appeared the directory with the files of the application was not caputerd by the sequencer. As I keep 'snapshots' of my projects with the sequencer open (can anyone tell me by the way how I can access the sequencing wizzard when you open an existing package?), i started monitoring again to find out that the sequencer simply doesn't seem to notice that you copy a complete directory to program files.
    So I added these files 'one by one (can anyone tell me how to add a directory instead of a file?).
    3. next step: delete existing (not working) advertisment + existing SCCM package + SCCM data source directory.
    4. create a new sccm package + distribution point + advertisement. And this works.

Conclusion:
    solved my proper issue.

Questions:
    - can I add a complete directory to a package (instead of adding file by file)
    - the sequencer doen't seem to capture plain file copy.
    - is the only way to easily test a package change via the MSI creator ? (delete sccm package + recreate is sometimes time consuming).
    • Marked as answer by Alain VDP Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:52 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:52 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I have been sequencing JAR applications since the 4.1 release and never had any issues (barely following best practice in most cases).

However, I have never encountered the "simply doesn't seem to work" error message, where do you get this?

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:06 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Alain VDP Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:06 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 11:22 AM
  • OK. Let's give some details

1. sequencing JRE. the 'installation' needs to be done on the C-drive because if you choose Q-drive, the 'install' rolls back at the end with a cryptic 1603 error.
    2. the 'client' part consist of jar files and configuration files. These are called in javaw -jar "jarfile" "config file" kind of way.
    3. sequencing together works fine. The shortcuts I created during sequencing work fine as long as you're in the sequencer.
    4. finish of the sequencer. create a SCCM package , deploy to a workstation (download or streaming - it's the same - streaming chosen- )
    5. shortcuts are correctly placed.
    6. launch the shortcut and get a "the application virtualization client could no launch -name of your appplication-. the directory name is invalid. Error code: 4513CDC-1F702339-0000010B" error.

Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:05 PM
  • Hello,

I would check this KB-article;
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930639

Since you seem to be using DSC I would double check that this is working correctly and the suite actually works.

/Znack
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 2:34 PM
  • And another update on this.

1. Is our SCCM infrastructure working correctly? Yes it is. I virtualized powerpoint viewer 2007 and that ran correctly (concluseion SCCM OK)
    2. I rechecked the virtual package for the Java application. It appeared the directory with the files of the application was not caputerd by the sequencer. As I keep 'snapshots' of my projects with the sequencer open (can anyone tell me by the way how I can access the sequencing wizzard when you open an existing package?), i started monitoring again to find out that the sequencer simply doesn't seem to notice that you copy a complete directory to program files.
    So I added these files 'one by one (can anyone tell me how to add a directory instead of a file?).
    3. next step: delete existing (not working) advertisment + existing SCCM package + SCCM data source directory.
    4. create a new sccm package + distribution point + advertisement. And this works.

Conclusion:
    solved my proper issue.

Questions:
    - can I add a complete directory to a package (instead of adding file by file)
    - the sequencer doen't seem to capture plain file copy.
    - is the only way to easily test a package change via the MSI creator ? (delete sccm package + recreate is sometimes time consuming).
    • Marked as answer by Alain VDP Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:52 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:52 AM
  • Hello,

If you have had a Windows Explorer window open pre-sequencing and use that for copying while sequencing, it will not capture the new files.

I assume that this is the problem.

/Znack
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:02 AM