how do I connect to SFB-Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

1. I believe all skype for business data (user,groups,department..all data) is stored in SFB-SQL database server defined in topology..Am I right?

2. If I want to extract this data from SFB-SQL-database server...how do I do that?I mean how do I connect to skype for business -sql database server?

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can use sql server maangement studio for the same.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 10:08 AM
  • So u mean, SFB data is stored in sql server defined in topology?

The problem is I have set up topology for skype and used local sqlexpress in database store...but when I open skype front end I can see SQl server configuration manager, sql server export import wizard, etc but not management studio...so how do I know where it is

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 11:09 AM
  • there are 2 types of database used

sql server express installed on FE server

and normal sql server used in backend servre...

sql server management studio is  used to connect to these database...you have to enter ur database name in this studio with user name and passwrd and then you would able to see the databases.

Regards

S

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 11:22 AM
  • that is what I mean i cannot find sql server management studio though I can see rest of the other which I mentioned above...and when I defined my topology I just used the default sql which sfb takes...but I really want to access the database...how do I do that?

If I install a new version of sql...it will override this one and I will have to create a new topology...whic I dont want to

I want to know the details of existing database of this topology...

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 11:48 AM
  • you wont get that preinstalled, do one thing download sql server m studio express from internet install it on any of the machine and connect you FE server or backend server..
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 11:57 AM
  • I am sure I m not explaining my question right....sorry to bother u

From what I believe and understand about skype for business is...when defining the topology for SFB FE..user chooses the sql database(example for my topology I can see SQL Server Store: skype.abc.local\rtc)

the above suggests that the data is stored in local server...but how do I access this rtc?or sfb database?

if I install sql management studio on any computer..and try to acess this skype database..I will need to know the username, password ,servername or somekind of information...where do I find that?

If I install sql management studio on SFB FE will I be able to acess this rtc?

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 12:51 PM
  • Hi Lexi,

May I ask you, what you are trying to accomplish by accessing the topology data from SQL. That would provide better understanding.

To access the RTC or any other Database, you must be Lync server admins(only for Front end databases).

For back end, you might need to check with your SQL team for the access. reason, it does not inherit from the Lync server admin 2013.

More information: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398375(v=ocs.15).aspx

- Muralidharan. Please mark as answer/useful if my contribution helps you.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 1:28 PM
  • hello lexi, mangmnt express can be used as client as well to connect to other sql databases regarding rtc and rtclocal these are databases installed on fe or be servers depending upon which kind of lync u have installed please go thru the below u will get what u r looking for http://www.ucprimer.com/tech-blog/querying-rtclocal-in-lync-2013
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 3:11 PM
  • Hello All,

1. I believe all skype for business data (user,groups,department..all data) is stored in SFB-SQL database server defined in topology..Am I right?

2. If I want to extract this data from SFB-SQL-database server...how do I do that?I mean how do I connect to skype for business -sql database server?

Hi Lexi,

Question 1:
    Yes, SFB data is stored in SFB Backend database which defined in the topology.
    The following blog is for your reference, it’s similar to SFB server 2015
    https://lyncdude.com/2014/12/31/understand-lync-databases/
    https://insidemstech.com/2014/04/09/lync-server-2013-databases/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Question 2:
    The Export-CsUserData cmdlet provides a way for administrators to export user data and/or conference directory for a Skype for Business Server 2015 pool.
    Please refer to:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj204897.aspx?

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, January 9, 2017 9:45 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 7:47 AM