none
Changed Block Tracker RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

i am currently using VSS to backup my current Hyper-V environment, i am having issues with time it takes to complete the backup. i have heard that there is a new feature being release called Changed Block Tracker. would anyone be able to let me know when this release would be??.

kind regards

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:18 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The current DPMFilter implementation is unique to DPM and other backup vendors would need to develop their own driver to do the same.  However, the next version of Windows / Hyper-v will have new API's that ISV can write to so that incremental hype-V host level backups can be made.

See the following TechReady video: Building Scalable and Reliable Backup Solutions in the Next Release of Windows Server Hyper-V

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Bossy7777 Thursday, January 29, 2015 12:35 PM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM 2012 SP1 introduced block level tracking on Windows 2012 Hyper-v servers.   DPM 2012 R2 with UR3 or later protecting a Windows 2012 R2 hyper-V cluster has additional features to help backup VM's at scale. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 5:38 PM
  • Hi Mike,

thanks for the update, but i was wondering if there it would be released in to windows so other backup software could use it?

kind regards

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:41 PM
  • Hi,

The current DPMFilter implementation is unique to DPM and other backup vendors would need to develop their own driver to do the same.  However, the next version of Windows / Hyper-v will have new API's that ISV can write to so that incremental hype-V host level backups can be made.

See the following TechReady video: Building Scalable and Reliable Backup Solutions in the Next Release of Windows Server Hyper-V

• Marked as answer by Bossy7777 Thursday, January 29, 2015 12:35 PM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:38 PM