Policy Based QoS wont work Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to finish up our deployment of lync so we can start putting it in production and I just cant seem to get policy based Qos to work with Windows 7 and group policies. I know it is not a group policy issue, since I can go in the registry and confirm that the policy is there and I have even added other configurations to the same policy to see if it applies and it does. No errors in the event log when it runs and all of my admx files have been updated for Windows 7/Server 2008 R2. I have tried to get the policy to apply on a windows 7 x86/x64 server 2008 x86/x64 and server 2008 r2 without success. I can manually open gpedit.msc and can verify that the same rules I am putting in to GPMC enter in fine and I have verified with wireshark that they are working.

I know this isnt exactly a lync problem, but I figured I would get a better response here since other people have to be setting these policies on their domain. Has anyone been able to get this working in their environment or is this a bug in group policy with policy based QoS?

Here are detailed steps I have taken.

Created the group policy in GPMC in Server 2008 R2 and linked it to the root of our domain
    Added the policy under Computer Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Policy-based QoS
    Verified the group policy is in the sysvol share and has replicated to all domain controllers properly
    refresh group policy with gpupdate
    Verified the policy was applied with gpresult without error
    Verified in the event viewer under Group Policy

Starting Enterprise QoS Extension Processing. 
       List of applicable Group Policy objects: (Changes were detected.)
       Lync QoS
       Completed Enterprise QoS Extension Processing in 15 milliseconds.
    Check for the policy in the registry under software\policies\microsoft\windows\QOS and all of my QOS policies are there
    restarted the machine once I had verified that group policy had applied correctly.

help!

Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:54 PM

All replies

• I have this working. What exactly is not happening that you are expecting? Can you post your QoS Policies? What configuration changes have you made in the Lync environment to support QoS?

Regards,

Jamie Schwinn

Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:20 PM
  • If I go to a workstation and pull up gpedit.msc I do not see anything under the policy based QOS. I have made the port changes to the client and the front end servers so that the voice and video are on their own port range.

Policy Name DSCP Value Throttle Rate (KBps) Policy Conditions
    Lync 2010 Audio 46 Not Specified Protocol: TCP and UDP
    Application: Communicator.exe
    Source IP: Any
    Destination IP: Any
    Source Port: 49152:57500
    Destination Port: Any

Lync 2010 Client Audio 46 Not Specified Protocol: TCP and UDP
    Application: communicator.exe
    Source Port: 5390:5429

Lync 2010 Client Video 41 Not Specified Protocol: TCP and UDP
    Source Port: 5430:5469

Lync 2010 Legacy Audio 46 Not Specified Protocol: TCP and UDP
    Application: communicator.exe
    Source Port: 40000:40039

Lync 2010 Video 41 Not Specified Protocol: TCP and UDP
    Source Port: 57501:65535

Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:37 PM
  • Couple things.

When you go to a workstation and run GPEdit.msc, you are looking at Local Policy, not Group Policy. You need to run Resultant Set of Policy (RSOP) to see applied GPO.

Your policies "Lync 2010 Audio" and "Lync 2010 Video" will not work assuming they are intended for the Server. Lync Server does not send Audio/Video from Communicator.exe. Recommend that you leave that as a wildcard (*).

Your Client Audio/Video policies look good, they should work. Do you see DSCP tags on outbound packets from the client?

What is the Legacy Audio policy for?

Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Rsop doesn't show Policy based QoS..... but I did remove the manual QoS rules off of my machine and noticed that my traffic is still getting tagged with wireshark, so I guess my gpo is getting applied... strange how that setting doesnt show anywhere in the OS though. I also called another lync client I was recieving traffic from them that was tagged.

The Lync 2010 Audio and Video are for talking to the frontend/mediation server from the client. I manually put in qos rules on my servers and checked the associated service to find out the exe.

The legacy audio is for the clientmediaport option in powershell, which to my understanding is used for OCS clients.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:02 PM
  • I just ran across this issue again. I noticed a warning message when generating the RSoP data that I had never taken the time to read thoroughly:

"Starting with Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1), the Resultant Set of Policies (RSoP) report does not show all Microsoft Group Policy settings. To see the full set of Microsoft Group Policy settings applied for a computer or user, use the command-line tool gpresult."

So, I dropped to the CLI and ran the gpresult command as "gpresult /H c:\path_to_result_file.html". The resulting html file showed all the Policy based QoS settings where the RSoP tool did not.

• Proposed as answer by Jamie Schwinn Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:35 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:35 PM