none
shuts down randomly RRS feed

• Question

• My computer which is an HP Compaq 8000 Elite (bought refurbished) with Windows 7 Home Premium. It shuts down all by itself at random times. It doesn't matter what I am doing or how long I have been on, it just shuts down whenever it wants to. Can you tell me if this is a problem with the computer or something else?
    Monday, July 25, 2016 7:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can try the following suggestions to see if the issue can be resolved.

First please try Last Known Good Configuration. To do this, please refer to the steps below:

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

Note: If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.

Also see if the issue occurs in Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up).

If the problem still persists, I’m afraid there is something wrong with your HP computer, you may need to connect manufacturer for further help.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:43 AM

All replies

• This sounds like a bad memory module issue to me. I would suggest, if you're capable, remove the panel that covers the memory and remove one of the modules. Replace the panel and try using the computer for a while. If the issue continues to occur swap the memory modules and try again. If the issue doesn't continue then you know you have a bad memory module and it can be replaced through whatever vendor you use.

if the issue continues using either of memory modules you might have short on the main board.

Monday, July 25, 2016 7:56 PM
  • Hi,

You can try the following suggestions to see if the issue can be resolved.

First please try Last Known Good Configuration. To do this, please refer to the steps below:

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

Note: If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.

Also see if the issue occurs in Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up).

If the problem still persists, I’m afraid there is something wrong with your HP computer, you may need to connect manufacturer for further help.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:43 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you in a couple of days, have you solved the problem? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 8:15 AM