none
Booting to USB MDT deployment Share Possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I know this is probably a un-conventional idea, but I don't have my MDT share on a server. I have it on a external USB 500 GB HDD.

I've been creating a separate media share, and then copying that media to the root of the usb drive, and booting that way to image a computer.

I do not have a seperate USB drive big enough to hold all of my apps/os/drivers. I would like to use only 1 drive.

The only problem, is whenever I make a change or update my deployment, I have to again update my media, and then copy the media to the root of the drive.

I feel I am doing this wrong, or is there another way to boot JUST THE DEPLOYMENT SHARE from the external USB drive, and not have to have a seperate media share?

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:46 PM

All replies

• Either, you position your MDT share on a file server, workstation or any other pc suitable, (that may be an USB attached disk, shared) or you use MDT Media, which you can create like this:

Create Windows 7 Media for Deployment

MDT 2010: Create a Lite Touch Deployment USB drive (again!)

Then it would be much easier to use, since then you have an bootable MDT share, working autonomously on a USB stick.

You're stating that you do not have a separate USB drive big enough, how big is your reference image, drivers and all your apps together?

Basically I would say, if you don't have space, buy space, what does 1 terabyte hard drive cost today (that would be the easy way, I'm just curious what numbers are we talking about here).

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:34 PM
  • Sorry, I would like to use only one drive if possible for BOTH? 

At the moment, I have my deploymentshare on the drive, and a separate dir for my media, on the drive as well. I usually copy the files from the "deploymedia\content" to the root of the drive, and then boot off of the drive to image a computer.

My question is, is there anyway to boot straight to the deploymentshare on the USB drive, instead of the media files that I had manually copied to the root of the USB Drive?

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Not good practice mate. 

Example. If your drive receives a shock, then - single point of failure.

You must be able to source a desktop with a 500GB drive.

If you can't then. . .

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:55 PM
  • Listen to Rens and Andrew.  :^)

It *might* be possible to rig the Deployment share to emulate a Media deployment point. But I wouldn't support that.

Alternatively, if you are running out of space. On the drive:

1. Make it NTFS and Compress.

2. Alternatively, if you have large image *.wim files, use fsutil hardlink create to make them single instance stores. When ever you make changes to the deployment share, MDT shouldn't update the *.wim files, so you will save some space there.

-k

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, September 26, 2013 3:49 AM
  • Thankyou guys, I just wanted to see if it was possible since I don't have a server. So I wouldn't have to manually keep updating and copying my media folder. I am currently making many changes, and adding drivers and programs, and its a pain.

I'll see if I can secure a separate drive as well.

James

Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:29 PM
  • You don't really need a "server", unless you are going to deploy more than 10 pcs at a time from an XP machine or 20 from a WIN7 box. We are deploying PCs all over the world from desktop PCs holding robocopied clones of our master deployment share. These shares only hold the deploy side files, not the build side, and are around ~30 gb

Of course if you'd like to PXE boot, you should install WDS on a server somewhere in your organization, but it doesn't need to be the Deployment server. Even then, desktop supported PXE servers like 3com PXE boot services are available.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:48 PM