none
Error: Recover-RecoverableItem : DPM cannot detect the volume RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are currently extracting SQL backups from a secondary DPM server to copy to another device for long term archiving.

We are doing this with a powershell script.

We get this error message: Recover-RecoverableItem : DPM cannot detect the volume E:\ on SERVERNAME. (ID: 31085)

Here's the script:

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.DataProtectionManager.PowerShell
    Add-Type -Path "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.SQL.dll"

$pg = get-protectiongroup –dpmservername SERVERNAME | where {$_.FriendlyName -eq "SQLSERVERS"}
    $ds = get-datasource –protectiongroup $pg

$i = 0
    $RestorePath = "D:\restore"
    $DPMServerName = "SERVERNAME"

$rp= @(get-recoverypoint –datasource $ds[$i] | sort -Property RepresentedPointInTime -Descending);
    $rp_to_restore=$rp[0];
    $rop = New-RecoveryOption -SQL -Targetserver $DPMServerName -Recoverylocation CopyToFolder -RecoveryType Restore -TargetLocation $RestorePath
    $RestoreJob = Recover-RecoverableItem -RecoverableItem $rp_to_restore -RecoveryOption $rop

Disconnect-DPMServer -DPMServerName $DPMServerName
    exit

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 6:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For someone with the same problem.

We have fix the problem by going in the a protection group and in the available members choose the DPM server you are restoring to and expand to see the drive and then it works.

I wonder if there is a better way to do this.

Thanks.

Monday, July 9, 2012 12:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For someone with the same problem.

We have fix the problem by going in the a protection group and in the available members choose the DPM server you are restoring to and expand to see the drive and then it works.

I wonder if there is a better way to do this.

Thanks.

Monday, July 9, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Hi

Did you get it fix? I'm having the same issue.

The script will recovery into C: drive, but not other physical drive attached to DPM server. 

Thanks

Sam

Monday, February 11, 2013 8:11 PM
  • Hi, I have the same issue, cannot restore any file to D: drive of one of our servers, on C: it is working. The message is :

DPM cannot detect the volume D:\ on server xxxxx (ID: 31085)

Any help, please ?

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 10:02 AM
  • Hello,

Same problem here, DPM cannot detect the volume I:\ on server xxxxx (ID: 31085)

I've noticed, that the problem is appearing while trying to recover to my usb hdd, while is does recover to internal hdd normally. Some days ago it used to work fine with usb disk too. I don't know what happened.

Any help please???

Monday, July 7, 2014 12:14 PM
  • Anyone have this solution ?
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 5:59 PM
  • 1) DPM Cannot Detect The Volume

2) Answer from Mike Jacquet

"Hi,

This is a known problem, you can run the following SQL script to list volumes that are marked for deletion that have the drive letter of the removable drive.  Change the Server_name to your Server name hosting the USB drive, and change the E:\ to be the current drive letter of the removable USB drive."

Select * FROM [DPMDB].[dbo].[tbl_IM_Volume]
    Where serverid in (select Serverid FROM [DPMDB].[dbo].[tbl_AM_Server] AM where NetbiosName = 'server_name')
    and VolumeLabel like '%E:\%'
    and MarkedForDeletion = 1
    "You can then run the below script to unmark them for deletion and they should be available for a restore again.  Make a backup of the DPMDB before running this. "
    update [DPMDB].[dbo].[tbl_IM_Volume]
    set MarkedForDeletion = 0
    Where serverid in (select Serverid from [DPMDB].[dbo].[tbl_AM_Server] AM where NetbiosName = 'server_name')
    and VolumeLabel like '%E:\%'

DPMDB - name of your DPM DataBase

Have a nice day !!! 
    DPM 2012 R2: Remove Recovery Points 
    DPM blog 
    System Center 
    Hyper-V

Have a nice day !!!
    DPM 2012 R2: Remove Recovery Points
    DPM blog
    System Center
    Hyper-V

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 7:01 AM
  • Had the same problem with restoring files to a USB 4TB drive using the DPM GUI .  We use this for a cheap offsite backup archive. I had tried formatting the drive and still had the same problem.

To resolve the problem I removed the Partition is on the disk and recreated a SIMPLE Volume and the restores worked as expected

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:37 AM
  • Had the same problem with restoring files to a USB 4TB drive using the DPM GUI .  We use this for a cheap offsite backup archive. I had tried formatting the drive and still had the same problem.

To resolve the problem I removed the Partition is on the disk and recreated a SIMPLE Volume and the restores worked as expected

Thanks, Simple Volume NTFS - finally recovery is working.
    Friday, October 18, 2019 10:07 AM
  • My problem was that I'd used the Disk Management GUI on my admin machine to create the destination drive on the destination server - a Hyper-V server.

It all looked good, but the DPM recovery failed every time with the error DPM cannot detect the volume D:\ on server xxxxx (ID: 31085)

I eventually had to delete the D: drive on the Hyper-V server and recreate it locally (i.e. on the Hyper-V server) using DISKPART.

My restore went through fine after that.

There was clearly something wrong with using remote GUI tools to create the drive.

Friday, October 16, 2020 12:00 PM