none
Project 2010 display wrong duration if I change Units RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to assign more than 1 Resource to a task in combination With another Resource, the duration will display incorrect.

Example: I have 4 Plumbers and 1 Apprentice. A task With a duration of 100h With 2 plumbers and 1 Apprentice then have 300h work. The task is effort driven. I want the duration to decrease by assigning more Resources to the task so I add one more plumber.  Both, the duration and work Fields does not change. If I remove the plumbers and assign them with the right value, everything will be fine. What am I doing wrong here?

Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

now I got it. System does what you expect - but not on task, but on assignment level. Effort driven does only affect duration or work for the whole task, when you change number of resources. But you don't change number of resource, just assignment units of assigned resources.

Project does change duration accordingly, but only for assignment. When you open a usage view and add columns Start and Finish, you will see that duration of assignment of plumber has decreased.

Currently I have no idea what you could do different, rather what you are already doing - remove and reassign. Maybe I have an idea later on, I will let you know.

Sorry
    Barbara

Thursday, September 6, 2012 11:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you have mentioned that your Task is Effort Driven, but you did not mention Task Type. I assume that it is Fixed Duration. If so, Fixed Duration will cause unchanged Duration and Effort Work. If you use view Task or Resource Usage and add column "Peak", you will see that assignment Units had been changed (with 2010, you can only see this Change on assigmnet Level in column Peak, not in Assignment Unts, since original value is kept there).

If my Assumtion is wrong, please let us know your Task Type.

Barbara

Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:18 AM
  • Hi, thanks for reply. No, I have changed between different types. The problem still persist. Fix work does not help. If I remove the resource and assign again with the new value it will be right. I have tried this in several different computers with different Versions of Project (2007/2010 std and pro), all with the same result.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

maybe I am not getting what you are doing, since your Headline is telling something slightly different.

I create a Task with Fixed Unit and Effort Driven and a Duration of 100hrs. I use Assign Resources Dialog, select all three of them and click on Assign. I get Duration = 100hrs and Work = 300hrs. When I assign a fourth resource, Duration is changed to 75hrs, Work of 300hrs is kept. This is your expected result? Assignment Units are not changed in any way, since Task Type is Fixed Units.

How are you assigning the last resource?

Barbara

Thursday, September 6, 2012 10:29 AM
  • Hi,

OK maybe I explain this wrong. I have plumbers, wich are 4 People (400%) and the last Resource, apprentice.

So I start with 3 like this: 1 Apprentice (100%) and 2 plumbers (200%). Then I want to change the duration by assigning another plumber. That makes 300% with plumbers. I do this by just fill in 300% instead of 200%.

If I then remove plumber and then assign plumber with 300%, everything is fine. The duration will decrease as expected. This only happen when one or more Resources are more than 100%

Knut Fr.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 10:54 AM
  • Hi,

now I got it. System does what you expect - but not on task, but on assignment level. Effort driven does only affect duration or work for the whole task, when you change number of resources. But you don't change number of resource, just assignment units of assigned resources.

Project does change duration accordingly, but only for assignment. When you open a usage view and add columns Start and Finish, you will see that duration of assignment of plumber has decreased.

Currently I have no idea what you could do different, rather what you are already doing - remove and reassign. Maybe I have an idea later on, I will let you know.

Sorry
    Barbara

Thursday, September 6, 2012 11:34 AM
  • Here are the steps you need to perform to understand how project is calculating the schedule:

1. Goto Task Usage view.
    2. Goto View menu. Select Details checkbox and then select the Task form from the Details pane drop down menu.
    3. In Task Usage view, Select the task which is assigned to 2 plumbers(200%) and 1 apprentice(100%).
    4. Note down the finish date for plumber and apprentice in Task usage view. They must be the same at this time. even the task level finish date must be same .
    5. Now goto Task form view at the bottom, change the units from 200% to 300% for plumber and click Ok.
    6. In Task usage view, you will notice that the finish date has changed for the plumber assignment. but the finish date of apprentice remains same as before. even the task level date is same as finish date of apprentice.
    7. the duration is calculated as start-finish. Since the finish date has not changed at the task level the duration remained constant.
    8. Now increase the units from 100% to 200% for apprentice and you will notice the duration has decreased because the finish date of apprentice assignment and task are changed.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

Thursday, September 6, 2012 11:36 AM
  • Hi,

thanks a lot. This was helpfull. I have been strugling With this for a time and I got really confused. Since this was no issue on the forum I thougt I did something wrong.

Actually, there must be something wrong in the way Project handles this, at least from my point of view.

I will mark this as Answered.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:50 PM