Refresh SNMP Network Device Attributes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Just wondering how I can force a refresh of the attributes of an SNMP discovered device? 

Say for instance, I have a device that was discovered using the SNMP Network Device discovery method and that at the time of the initial discovery its System Contact was set to "Michael" but has since been updated to a generic role based value such as "Networks Group"etc.

I had hoped that anytime such SNMP settings were changed on a device that SCOM would also update the change to reflect the new value in the Console but this doesn't appear to be the case unless I missed it.

Do the SNMP attributes exposed by the various column choices in the SNMP Network Device view only get populated once during initial discovery?  If so, does this mean that I would need to delete then rediscover an SNMP device in order to update its information?

There must be a way to force a refresh of this that doesn't involve deleting the device or otherwise restarting the Health Service of the Management Server that is acting as its Proxy?

Thanking you in advance,

Michael

Monday, March 29, 2010 11:54 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately, discovery is what creates the properties you see on the discovered items.  Since discovery is run a single time for these devices, they don't get updated.

Try rediscovering one item (one you have already previously discovered and that you know will have updated values).  By doing only one, you don't put a lot of effort into the testing of a work around.  If this works, repeat as required.  If it doesn't work, then delete/rediscover may be the option you have.

Microsoft Corporation
    Monday, March 29, 2010 3:57 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, discovery is what creates the properties you see on the discovered items.  Since discovery is run a single time for these devices, they don't get updated.

Try rediscovering one item (one you have already previously discovered and that you know will have updated values).  By doing only one, you don't put a lot of effort into the testing of a work around.  If this works, repeat as required.  If it doesn't work, then delete/rediscover may be the option you have.

Microsoft Corporation
    Monday, March 29, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks for the response.

I'll try what you suggest and let you know what happens.

It would be nice if a "refresh discovery" option existed so a future update that inlcudes a method for dynamically updating SNMP devices would be most welcome.

Kind Regards,

Michael

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:34 AM
  • Hi Michael

Feel free to open this as an enhancement request at http://connect.microsoft.com - if it is ok with you I'll close the thread now but feel free to reopen if you have further questions and we'll continue to assist.

Cheers

Graham 

View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    Friday, April 9, 2010 8:24 AM