none
Component Services (COM+) re-installation or repair: using Easy Transfer to setup a new pc breaks COM+????

Question

• Recently I have noticed a third party application we are using in our company has not been working properly on certain computers.  I contacted the vendor for support, and they said I should check if My Computer under Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Component Services--> Computers has a red line through it.  On all the computers where the app is not working, this line appears indicating that there is a problem with Component Services.

Doing some further research on the internet, I have found several posts that indicate that if a computer was setup using Easy Transfer, that this leads to a "broken" Component Services.

And indeed---every one of the computers with a broken Component Services was one that had been setup for a new user by using Easy Transfer.  The issue with Component Services does not appear on computers that were a "clean" install.

So--I know my third-party app is not working properly because of a problem in COM+.  There is info to indicate that using Easy Transfer somehow "breaks" Component Services---but no one seems to know how it does this.  There is also no clear advice or info on how to fix it properly.  Just some general advice to "reinstall Windows".

Can anyone advise if it is possible to re-install or fix COM+ Component Services WITHOUT having to do a complete reinstall of Windows?  I have setup quite a few pcs in my company using the Easy Transfer.   Is a complete OS reinstall the only way to fix this?

• Edited by zooeyhall Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:07 AM
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:39 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:02 AM

Answers

• Windows Easy Transfer helps you transfer your files, email, pictures and settings when moving to a new PC; Component Services are system components that cannot be transferred by means of Windows Easy Transfer.
    You could try using the Windows 7 Recovery feature to perform a sort of "in place re-installation" of Windows 7 that could repair COM+: go to Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Recovery and click the "Advanced recovery methods" link and click the "Reinstall Windows" option and insert the Windows 7 installation disc.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

• Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, April 30, 2012 3:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by zooeyhall Monday, April 30, 2012 1:57 PM
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 2:08 PM

All replies

• Windows Easy Transfer helps you transfer your files, email, pictures and settings when moving to a new PC; Component Services are system components that cannot be transferred by means of Windows Easy Transfer.
    You could try using the Windows 7 Recovery feature to perform a sort of "in place re-installation" of Windows 7 that could repair COM+: go to Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Recovery and click the "Advanced recovery methods" link and click the "Reinstall Windows" option and insert the Windows 7 installation disc.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

• Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, April 30, 2012 3:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by zooeyhall Monday, April 30, 2012 1:57 PM
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 2:08 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, agree with Luigi.

Furthermore, if you try to migrate the systems in your enterprise environment, I suggest using the User State Migration Tool 4.0.

More information: User State Migration Tool 4.0 User's Guide

You may try to use the installation disk to test if it is able to repair the Component Services.

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 30, 2012 3:38 AM
  • Luigi:

I appreciate your reply.  Unfortunately, it wasn't quite the one I was hoping for.  Having to reinstall Windows and all files and apps to fix this is a bummer.   Too bad a person cannot reinstall just Windows like in the XP days---but of course that's another story.

I am surprised that Easy Transfer is flawed in the way it is, because many users like myself innocently use it to migrate to new computers.  Little realizing that it breaks a critical component of Windows---and in such a way that the damage is not immediately apparent. 

Nevertheless I do thank you for your reply. 

Monday, April 30, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Zooeyhall,

We've noticed that USMT's Loadstate.exe tool changes a registry key, HKLM\Software\Microsoft\COM3\RegDbVersion, to some value other than the default of '010000' and this causes problems running scripts using RUNAS.

Could this be what's happening with your application? It may be a long shot, but Easy Transfer may be doing a similar change. Check that registry key and set it back to the default if its any other value and try your app.

HTH.

Monday, May 5, 2014 4:25 PM
  • I found another hugely long thread with plenty of people having the same issue but as I found this short thread first I thought I'd share the fix:

Use WET and export the settings from a healthy Win 7 x64 (or matching architecture) system and import them on my broken system.

I only selected for migration the Shared Items -> Windows Settings from another (healthy) Win 7 x64 system, and after restart everything was working again as expected

• Proposed as answer by JeremyA6 Friday, December 11, 2015 2:09 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2015 2:08 AM