DDL's nested inside static DL's which sync to office365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

just wondering if anyone has run across this issue before? We have static DL's which are synced to tenant in office365 - these static DL's contain user mailboxes and some have a nested DDL as a member - when viewed in office365 the DL has only the user mailboxes - this is by design - DDL's are not dirsynced.  So to work around this issue - i expanded the filter of the DDL on premise to include usermailboxes and mail users - this takes into account users who mailboxes have been migrated to the cloud,

Secondly I created a mail contact in the tenant which is cloud only obviously - with the external email address of the DL - this solves the problem of users in office 365 being able to email and see the DL in their GAL.

The problem is I cannot nest the cloud contact inside the DL in the tenant because it is synced from onprem? So emails sent to the DL from office365 mailboxes will not go to all the intended recipients? Is their a way around this?

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 10:39 AM

Answers

• Yes.  It might be easier for you to do that after all mailboxes have been moved to the cloud, though.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by nickkinn Wednesday, August 9, 2017 8:28 PM
    Friday, July 14, 2017 7:48 PM

All replies

• What you could do is create a mail contact in on-premises Exchange in an OU you don't synchronize to the cloud, give it the same name as the dynamic distribution group and the whatever.mail.onmicrosoft.com e-mail address it has.  Then you can nest that group in the on-premises group.

Another, perhaps better, option is to move your distribution groups to Exchange Online.  You'll have the added benefit of cloud mailbox users being able to take advantage of self-management features.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Thursday, July 13, 2017 9:48 AM
    Wednesday, July 12, 2017 11:48 PM
  • Sorry Ed - maybe being stupid here - the 1st solution you mentioned - create a mail contact in onprem Exchange - give it same name as the DDL and nest it in the static DL which is dirsynced? So the nested contact is synced with the DL - so obviously the I would need to delete the cloud only contacts for the DDL's as there would be a conflict and it should work? Will onprem users not see 2 items in the GAL with the same name - the contact and the nested DDL then? Also not sure what you mean by "move the distribution group to Exchange Online" - the DL's are dirsynced? Thanks for your assistance and if i'm being stupid forgive me :)
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 8:45 AM
  • Also if i try and create the contact onprem with the same email and name as the DDL - it won't allow it saying its in use already?
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 9:28 AM
  • Sorry, I misunderstood the question.

What I would do is move both the static and dynamic distribution groups to the cloud so that the static group can include the dynamic group as a member.

Add a mail contact in on-premises Exchange that is not synchronized to the cloud that points to the static distribution group's tenant.mail.onmicrosoft.com address.  This allows on-premises mailboxes to send mail to the distribution group.  Do not synchronize the contact or else you'll end up with a conflict with the actual group.

Thursday, July 13, 2017 9:52 PM
  • By move the static and dynamic distribution group to the cloud you mean recreate them in the cloud? and delete the onprem ones?
    Friday, July 14, 2017 10:02 AM
  • Yes.  It might be easier for you to do that after all mailboxes have been moved to the cloud, though.

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by nickkinn Wednesday, August 9, 2017 8:28 PM
    Friday, July 14, 2017 7:48 PM