none
Enable Group Policy Logging on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very frustrating problem that I am trying to resolve.  For about the last 18 months we have been having protracted problems with our Windows 10 machines sometimes taking an hour to boot up.  Users generally report this as the machine being "stuck on the Welcome screen."  I enabled verbose logging and learned that every time this happens, the message that is displayed is, "Applying Group Policy Extensions policy."  I also learned that one hour is a well known Group Policy timeout, which explains why after one hour the machines successfully finish loading Windows.  Machines do not get hung up every time they start up, but when they do get hung up, that is always the message.

I have been pushing my lead tech and my supervisor to get serious about troubleshooting this problem, and thus far they really have just done nothing, and have not authorized a project to get this issue resolved.  I did Group Policy at my previous employer, and I've been in my current position for almost 5 years, so I know the environment, and still I cannot get access to Group Policy to troubleshoot this issue.  I am really the only person in my unit who is trying to tackle this problem, and I am being forced to do so without the necessary system access or any support from my leadership team.  As you might imagine, it is extremely frustrating.

I am looking for way to capture the data necessary to troubleshoot this issue.  I found the Computer Management > Event Viewer > Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Group Policy log, but even though I am looking at that log on a machine that experienced the problem only a few days ago, the log does not appear to contain much information that is useful for troubleshooting.

Are there are any other Group Policy log files on Windows 10 that I can review, or is there is a way to enable more verbose Group Policy logging on a Windows 10 machine, so that the next time this happens I can capture the necessary data to troubleshoot the issue?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer!

--Tom

Monday, July 1, 2019 9:37 AM