none
Can't change background Color of noncritical task in Network Diagram. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to change the backgound colors of tasks in the Network Diagram to give each ressource a specific color.

By changing the Background color to white in box styles I can overwrite the color for each task on the critical path. However even if the background color for non critical is set two white in "box styles" it remains blue and can not be overwriten by the "Box" settings.

Is there anyway i can change the background color of noncritical tast in the Network Diagram View?

Thank you,

Ole 

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 11:44 AM

Answers

• What helped was saving the file as Project 2007 - reset the view to default at save it again as 2010 verison

Ole 

• Marked as answer by Ole Berard Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:10 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Ole,

What version of Microsoft Project are you using? And have you installed the latest Service Pack?

I tried in Microsoft Project 2010 + SP1 + December 2011 CU and it seems to work just fine.

Keep in mind though that the Network Diagram is not a resource view but a task view, so giving each resource a different color is all manual work and simply not possible is multiple resources are assigned to the same task.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 12:26 PM
  • I am using 14.0.6023.1000 and Service Pack 1 i am not sure about the December 2011CU.

But I can only overwrite task that are on the critical path all others remain blue.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:46 PM
  • Ole,

How are you changing the box background color?

Using the Box Styles button on the Format ribbon?

Have you tried using the Box button to set the color of an individual task? Because colors set on individual tasks have precendence over colors set using box styles.

Maybe you had set all boxes to blue before and that might be why the Box styles has nog impact.

Regards,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Hi Hans

Thank you for trying to help me, I appreciate that very much.

So here is what i do.

Network diagram is active View.

Under "View" - I choose "Reset to default" to make sure nothing is preset

Under "Network Diagram Format Tools" i choose "Box styles" and change the background color to "white" for Both "Critical" and ''Noncritical".

The background color changes to white for critical tasks while the background color remains "blue" for all "noncritical" tasks.

Afterwards I try to change the individual task by the "Box", which great for critical tasks, while "noncritical" tasks remain blue background.

It seems as if blue is set some where else to have precendende over all other colors sets.

Ole 

• Unmarked as answer by Ole Berard Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:10 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 7:20 PM
  • What helped was saving the file as Project 2007 - reset the view to default at save it again as 2010 verison

Ole 

Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:10 PM
  • What I have done is so easy and it worked for me but I do not know if I save in 2007 if it will stay the same way.  I wanted to change the box style of noncritical background to Yellow.

What I did is

view in network diagram

click box style choose noncritical it is the second option below critical

then, at the bottom you will see background color

click the arrow and choose any color you want by default it is white. Before anything, because I wanted to change specific task noncritical background color to change I went Gannt chart view then collapsed most of the tasks by clicking the Minus but left the Task I wanted to change.

Hope this helps. 

• Edited by Shibis Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:58 AM Solution
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:53 AM
  • This worked for me, but what really happened was I had manually scheduled tasks. By converting to 2007, it causes them to be automatically scheduled. 

The "bug" as I see it is that there is no Box style for "manually scheduled" tasks that have no info. They're not classified as critical or noncritical because they've not been scheduled yet?

Thursday, June 16, 2016 3:10 PM