none
Using Enterprise Resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Normally when we add Users as enterprise resources in the project server. Project manager would be able to add the users in project plan after which the user would be able to access PWA to enter time.

My question is does microsoft project server 2007 has an option where I want to add the user as Enterprise resource but not let the resource log into pwa and enter efforts.Idea is to have resources as enterprise resources in Project plan. Do we have any option in Project server to do this. Please advise

Thanks

MP

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:29 AM

Answers

• It could be done by unmarking the check box while creating or editing a Resource - Resource can log on to the Project Server; this will make a user just a Resource which can be pulled from Build Team option in MSP as an enterprise resource, but he can never log on to the Server.
    Sapna S
    Monday, September 5, 2011 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Max,

I have already replied to your question, you have posted in the other forum here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/f437f8a8-41a1-4419-bc86-e19be61420b7#6795212e-bd86-440e-8714-6f36dc9b3f71

hope this helps.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:05 PM
  • It could be done by unmarking the check box while creating or editing a Resource - Resource can log on to the Project Server; this will make a user just a Resource which can be pulled from Build Team option in MSP as an enterprise resource, but he can never log on to the Server.
    Sapna S
    Monday, September 5, 2011 7:47 AM
  • Hello,

I am using Project Server 2010 and we unmark the checkbox, so that user accounts can NOT be used as resources.  Therefore, we add resources to the enterprise resource pool that can not log on to server.

My question is, can resources (without a user account) use the PWA timesheet feature?  Can the timesheet manager who has an user account, submit timesheets on behalf of resources?

I looked at using delegations to facilitate this, however resources for the enterprise resource pool are not listed in the  Delegation dialog box for "Working on Behalf of".  I can only select from a list of users with an user account.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:44 PM
  • Hi,

A resource which is only a resource and not a user (meaning with no valid AD account) cannot log in any way to Project Server (including PWA) thus cannot use any feature like timesheet or project site. 

Project Server 2010 introduced a feature called "delegation" which allows a user submitting a timesheet (or doing any other operation) on behalf of another user. The restriction is that it applies only to users and not resources with no valid account.

Finally, to do waht you want to do, I'd suggest to use the assignment owner column in MS Project Pro. If a task is assigned to a resource (and not a user), it will not be able to create and submit a timesheet, neither his manager to act of his behalf. But if the manager enters his name for the assignment in the assignment owner column in MS Project Pro and publishes the project plan, then he'll receive the assignment in his own timesheet. This feature allows giving a status update and/or asubmitting timesheet on behalf of someone who cannot do it for any reason, like for a customer who does not have a CAL (licence).

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:56 PM
  • Thank you so much for your response!  Your explanation was very clear!  I assumed this to be the case, but wanted to be positive, before informing my team. This wasn't stated clearly in documentation for timesheets and resources.

I will look more into the feature mentioned above for users, who don't have a license.  Is there an official name for this feature, so that I can research the full details of how this works?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:37 PM
  • You're more than welcome. 

Here a few references about assignment owner:

• http://blog.advisicon.com/2008/12/10/how-to-change-the-assignment-owner-on-tasks/
    • http://microsoftepmsolution.blogspot.ca/2008/10/assignment-owner.html
    • http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/project-help/assignment-owner-assignment-field-HA010167479.aspx

Please mark my reply as an answer if it was helpful so other users with a similar concern can refer to it.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:49 PM
  • Thanks again!

Sorry if this is obvious, but how do I mark your answers as helpful?  I don't see an option for this, in the blog trail...

Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:42 PM
  • On the left side of your reply:

Hope this helps,

Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:45 PM
  • Hello again,

The references provided were for establishing an assignment owner, which has been already done for my project file.  However, I'm having an issue with the following statement:

But if the manager enters his name for the assignment in the assignment owner column in MS Project Pro and publishes the project plan, then he'll receive the assignment in his own timesheet. This feature allows giving a status update and/or asubmitting timesheet on behalf of someone who cannot do it for any reason, like for a customer who does not have a CAL (licence).

Here's my current scenario:

• I am a user (with an account)
    • I have resources (without an account) in my project file, who are assigned to tasks in my project file
    • The project file is published
    • I am a user (with an account) who is the "Assignment Owner" and "Timesheet manager" for all of my resources (without an account).
    • In my timesheet, I do not see tasks for my resources, so that I can submit a timesheet on their behalf

Please, am I missing something? 

Thanks in advance,

Tamika

Friday, October 3, 2014 6:45 PM
  • Hi Tamika?

• Did you activate the SEM (Single Entry Mode) so the task update and timesheet will be done in the same interface?
    • Then did you correctly published the project plan (with no errors in the queue and logs) after changing the assignment owner to yourself?
    • Is the booking type set to "committed"?
    • Do you have the "fixed approval routing" and "Require line approval before timesheet approval" enabled?

Hope this helps,

Friday, October 3, 2014 6:51 PM