SCCM 2012 with Server 2003 R2 distribution point error RRS feed

• Question

• Using a Custom Website, The Management point is up and running and a DP is running on 2008 R2 just fine.  I have about 25 field servers that are 2003 R2.  IIS is installed and running applications on the default website.  I configured at a site level to use a custom website (SMSWEB) using port 8080.  As stated, this is working well in the main office (corporate) and a test facility that happened to have a 2008r2 server onsite.

The issue is that the DP's are not fully configuring.  The virtual directories seem to be created, but no content can be distributed.

Above is what I see in Config Manager monitoring node

Below is What I see in the Distmgr.log when I try to push the DP out

I see no specific documentation on how to configure IIS on 2003 for SCCM 2012.  I have installed BITS on the box, from what I have read, 2003 r2 contains Remote Differential Compression.  I'm up against a wall and MS isn't calling me back.  I hope someone has an idea.

• Moved by TorstenMMVP Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:00 PM moved to CM12 forums (From:Configuration Manager 2007 Software Distribution)
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please post sccm 2012 questions on http://innovation.connect.microsoft.com/discussions?ProjectName=configmgrbeta until sccm 2012 forum is live

Please click on "vote as Helpful" if you feel this post helpful to you.

Eswar Koneti | My Tech blog: www.eskonr.com | Linkedin: Eswar Koneti

Friday, April 13, 2012 5:27 AM
  • The Beta forum, nor anyone else has been any assistance on this.  The product is released, it isn't in Beta any longer.
    Friday, April 13, 2012 12:02 PM
  • Forums are based on voluntary work of community members. You should engage Microsoft support (CSS) if you need immediate assistance.
    There are no Technet forums for ConfigMgr 2012 available yet, that's why you should post CM12 related questions to the connect site.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Friday, April 13, 2012 12:48 PM
  • Although I was a little peeved with you guys telling me to go to the Beta forum, I found just what I needed and I hope this helps someone else. 

http://innovation.connect.microsoft.com/configmgrbeta/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=5898

Basically, you need to install RDC which is in the Client\i386 folder.  If anyone has any other questions in relation to this, I'm writing up an article and will post a link upon completion.

• Proposed as answer by Fidosoft Friday, May 4, 2012 7:45 AM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 7:19 PM
  • Hi,

i think i ahve the same problem but cannot access the BETA source anymore. i also post my problem in corcect forum but noone know the answe yet. What exactly you mean by installing RDC into W2k3 server? it should be there automatically no need to install it???

Jaromir

Jaromir

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:40 PM
  • I'll move this thread to the CM12 forums.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:00 PM
  • Hi Fidosoft,

I thought the same thing and racked my brain on this for a few days.  Spent 1 of those days on the phone with MS, only to find the solution in the beta forum.  I understand you don't think you need it.  Try it.  I bet it solves your issue.

-LvilleSystemsJockey

Friday, May 4, 2012 3:00 AM
  • so you only installed this?

E:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Client\i386\msrdcoob_x86.exe

i cannot access link provided by you to beta forum maybe it's closed already

J.

Jaromir

Friday, May 4, 2012 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

thank you very much for this hint after 4 days of troubleshoooting now my packages are distributed to DP correctly so it's really mandatory to install this component to Windows 2003 for DP site system role.

Microsoft Configuration Manager\Client\i386\msrdcoob_x86.exe

question should be if offical documentation consist this i did not found any. And why DP is successfuly installed adn everything seems green in component manager while this important RDC component is missing on server... that sucks. i like how CM is doing logs but in this case it was none sense.

[1EF4][Fri 05/04/2012 08:11:52]:Failed to add file 'ccmsetup.cab' to content library. Error code: 0X80070002

so this kind of log should be replaced with message : you are missing RDC :-D

Jaromir

Jaromir

Friday, May 4, 2012 7:45 AM
  • I actually wrote up some step-by-step documentation for this and sent it to MS support. Between the 2 of us, we spent a good 7 days trying to figure this out.  I actually had to eat some time on a project because of this.  Who would have thought it was in the client directory.  Glad you figured it out.

-LvilleSystemsJockey

Sunday, May 6, 2012 8:45 PM