Excel 2016 not lock already opened file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a file server with Windows Server 2012 R2.

All User have Office 365 Business premium and Office 2016 installed on their workstations.

We have the following problem:

• User A open a Excel 2016 file inside a network folder of the file server, the lock ~$filename file is generated correctly (Opening the lock file with a text editor is possible to see the name of User A).
    • Meanwhile a user B try to open the same file. Sometimes happen that user B can open in write mode the file without any alert or popup about that fact the file is already open.
    • User B is able to save the file, producing the loss of data of user A.
    • User A is able to save the file, producing the loss of data of user B.

User are used to be informed by typical "open in read only" popup when another user have already opened the file. If they don't see any alert, they suppose to open the file in exclusive mode.

The problem is very relevant and impact on productivity and can produce relevant data loss.

Please, how can resolve this problem ?

thank you in advance

Thursday, March 1, 2018 7:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, different users open excel file from server folder don't appear file in use window. Is my understanding correct?

Do this problem only appear in all Excel files or a specific file?

Please check if you turn on the Share option in Excel, if yes please go to Review tab- Unshare Workbook option.

Any updates please let me know and I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, March 2, 2018 7:06 AM
  • Emi, 

thank you for your reply.

• Yes, our problem is about exclusive opening that don't work properly.
    • The problem appears occasionally.
    • Sharing feature is off.
    • The problem can be discovered only if users check with colleagues if they have already opened the file: as you can understand, it's not a common action.

Some update:

• I analyze in deep ~$ lock file and I notice that the file is 1 week ago old.
    • If I delete the old file, anew ~$ lock file is generated and exclusive mode and read only popup seems to work.
    • In my opinion, if the ~$ lock file is old don't legitimate this Excel behavior, so the problem remains.

thank you.

Friday, March 2, 2018 8:25 AM
  • Hi conroe997

Did you get a resolution to this issue?

I'm experiencing the same issue,and have read some articles regarding indexing, the lock file does not see to be the issue, as even if we delete the lock file the locking behaviour seems to be fine, the locking file only appears to affect who is reported as having the a file open.

Kind Regards

Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:12 PM
  • Same issue here, same version of Office however with Server 2016 and DFS. 

Neither users shows they are accessing the file in the open files MMC (Shared Folders) hence think this is a server issue. User only alerted on Save of file that there have been changes made by another user. 

Keen to solve this one! 

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:42 AM
  • Same problem here!  Any progress on this issue?

Chad Shields, RMCS

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 5:39 PM
  • Same problem here!  Any progress on this issue?
    Friday, May 3, 2019 4:05 PM
  • I was reading another article, since I have the same issue here.

That article suggested that it could be different versions of Windows that cause this (i.e. One user with Windows 10 and one with Windows XP). 

In my case, this is the scenario I face, once user still is running Windows XP (for other reasons they can't upgrade) - I have not confirmed that this is the issue, but it could be.

Both are running O365, so the Excel version is the same, but the OS is not.

Monday, May 20, 2019 7:11 PM
  • Same issue here. Behaviour is not reproducible. Sometimes the users don't get the "file in use" popup even when the file is already opened by another user.

All Machines run Office 2016 on Windows 10.

Can anyone from MS take a look at this?

Thursday, February 20, 2020 1:08 PM
  • Same issue with a client here, users are using windows 10 machines and latest 365 office application, only excel this is happening with and temperamental......
    Tuesday, March 17, 2020 2:02 PM
  • Same issue. Mostly a excel workbook (sometimes word aswell) on a networkshare (no dfs, no synccenter on clients, workbook is not shared) is not locked correctly. Sometimes the workbook is losing the locked-state.

Fileserver has OS Windows 2019. Clients Windwos 10. Office 365 E3 newest Versions.

I'n my case there are laptops and guess it is a behavior between a change of subnet (LAN <-> WLAN through dockingstation) and inactive workbooks.

I'm wondering, because excel is not creating a temp file on the share (~$blabla). This must be a change in the office product.

Friday, August 7, 2020 5:01 AM