Prioritizing Incidents related to Sales RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

Very new to the forums and would like some feedback on best practices when it comes to incident management w/ sales involve.

I work in an IT environment and our current customers are actual customers that bought our Products and employees that utilizes our tools to support these customers. You can say we are a website company.

There are a few silo in the company, Customer care, Sales and developers (IT that actually fixes the issues within the products/internal tools). The sales team uses a tool to track their sales and place orders for customers.

My question is, if there is an issue where the internal tool to place orders is not working, but customers can still order products on their own. Do you think this is a > minor priority? It may be an "inconvenience" as Customer care needs to walk the customer into ordering the package themselves, but there is no disruption with actual services other than some financial impact on the customer care support agent. But in reality no financial impact on the company.

Many thanks for your insight and sharing your experiences.

Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

there is a lot to be said here, but I will try to make it shorter. My personal believe is that the business determines the actual priority values, base on the Impact (extend of the damage the Incident can cause) and Urgency (how quickly does the issue need to be resolved) of the Incident (in your case - failure of the internal Sales tool).

Based on this in ITIL we have the Priority matrix with its default values:

Checklist Incident Priority

Of course this is just a frame to hold on to. Every business has different requirements, so the Impact and Urgency values that build the priority can vary. Exactly because of this each ITSM tool offers you the possibility to adjust the values in the Priority matrix. 

As you are posting in the Service Manager Forums, I will give you an example with SCSM:

Managing Incident Resolution SLAs in Service Manager

So you will need to sit down with Sales and also Customer Care (they are carrying the burden of supporting the customers through the process when the Sales tool is not working) and with them define the values for Impact and Urgency and of course as a result  - the values for Priority. It is not up to the IT or the Service Desk to decide for those values, because Sales and Customer Care are actually affected. 

The same principle actually applies to each ITIL process: you need to align the tool to the process.

Here also a need summary. There are actually a numbers of articles that explain this, some of them go even into greater details:

DETERMINING INCIDENT PRIORITYHope I was able to help. 

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Friday, November 30, 2018 10:55 AM