none
DPM 2010 When adding server to primary protection group, not showing on secondary server. RRS feed

• Question

• I have two DPM 2010 servers, one acting as primary and the other acting as secondary backing up the primary. When I add a new server to the primary server, the secondary server is not automatically backing up the new data (volume). Do I have to go in and manually add the volumes each time I add a server to the primary DPM server? If so, what is the best way to do it? Is there an easier way than modifying the protection group the expanding everything to get through c:\program files\microsoft dpm\dpm\volumes\replica\file system then putting the check box in the new vol_xxxxx?

Is there an easier way to do this entire process as a whole? It seams like it is an after thought with the primary/secondary roles. I would think that when I backup the primary there would be a cleaner way of displaying what I am backing up. What I mean is, I would like an easier way of displaying the servers that are backed up on primary as opposed to trying to restore a file on the secondary by drilling through everything and guessing what vol_aa76f3f2-aa00-cf23-2b3f-2d33b65d3daa is supposed to mean.

Thank you.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:39 PM

Answers

• Hi

In a primary / secondary DPM scenario you must tell the secondary DPM server what it should protect from the primary DPM server. There is no automated way...yet.

To activate secondary protection of a primary workload do this:

1) on the secondary DPM server, "install" an agent to the primary DPM server.

2) Mark the agent on the Management tab / agents klick on the link modify

3) Mark the workload and click "Enable Secondary Protection"

4) Now you can create a protection Group protecting the primary DPM servers workloads

BR

Robetr Hedblom 

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:04 PM

All replies

• Hi

In a primary / secondary DPM scenario you must tell the secondary DPM server what it should protect from the primary DPM server. There is no automated way...yet.

To activate secondary protection of a primary workload do this:

1) on the secondary DPM server, "install" an agent to the primary DPM server.

2) Mark the agent on the Management tab / agents klick on the link modify

3) Mark the workload and click "Enable Secondary Protection"

4) Now you can create a protection Group protecting the primary DPM servers workloads

BR

Robetr Hedblom 

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:04 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I am still having problems with this. I cannot find the "modify" link or the "enable secondary protection" for some reason. My secondary server had been protecting servers so I removed those protection groups (I kept the data though, maybe this a problem?). I installed the agent on the primary DPM 2010 server from the secondary DPM 2010 then did the following on the secondary DPM 2010 server:

1. Went to the Management section and the Agents tab. I have a section for "Unprotected computers with protection agent" and the primary DPM 201 server in the list. I click on the server to hightlight it.

2. The right-hand column has the following: Install..., Disable protection agent, Uninstall..., Throttle computer..., Refresh information, Update DPM licenses..., Options..., Help.

3. If I right-click on the server with the agent I get the following: Disable protection agent, Uninstall..., Throttle computer..., Refresh information.

At this point I do not know what to do to get the secondary protection working the way I think it is supposed to becasue I do not have the modify or enable secondary protection.

Thank you

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Hi, As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered". Either the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios and will be marked as answer, or this post will be marked as answer in order to close the thread. Feel free to re-open the thread if you have additional information about this specific case or to open a new thread for a new case. In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks,

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 + 2012 Recipient

Monday, November 19, 2012 6:50 AM