none
DPM 2012 SP1: dpm volume is offline for shadow copy protection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have the following error on DPM console:
    .................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Description: The replica of Volume G:\ on xxxxx is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent. 

For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)
    Operation failed for G:\ on xxxxx due to a VSS error on the DPM server. Future backups are also likely to fail until this issue is fixed. (ID 30078 Details: Unknown error (0xd0000034) (0xD0000034))
    More information
    Recommended action:

1) Rerun the consistency check and see if it resolves this issue. 
    2) Check to see if your disks are connected properly to the DPM server. If there are any disk cabling issues, rectify them and then run consistency check. 
    3) If you are certain that you do not have any disk cabling issues, clear the VSS fault. Next, run chkdsk on \\?\Volume{0413c29b-608a-11e2-afe5-005056927786}\ and finally run consistency check.
    Synchronize with consistency check.
    Clear the VSS fault...
    Run a synchronization job with consistency check..
    .....................................................................................................................................................................................................
    I mounted the volume but I'm not able to run the chkdsk tool due to the message that the type of the file system is RAW.
    All the disks in the DPM storage pool are healthy and that specific volume is also listed in the disk management console as healthy. 

I found the volsnap system event id 91 :

..........................................................................................................
    Volume C:\... Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\File System\vol_6598ac61-f947-439b-bcdd-ff76ac4ad8d6 is offline for shadow copy protection.  An error occurred when doing a file system operation.  Please try clearing the protection fault or restart the computer.  If all else fails, revert out of shadow copy protection mode to reclaim the use of the volume while losing the shadow copies.
    ...........................................................................................................

I rebooted the server, take the disks offline and put them back online but no results...
    There are some similar posts but without a real solution, besides to delete the protection group and recreate it. 

Is there anothe way to solve this issue ? 

Sunday, September 14, 2014 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

VSS Shadow Copy Protection Mode is a VSS feature designed to preserve snapshots when a copy-on-write (COW) cannot be done when a block is written to the replica volume.  Some volsnap errors are non-recoverable, others can be cleared and will bring the replica back online.   Unfortunately, I'm not sure if event 91 is one that can be cleared or not.   You will need to contact support and see if they can help clear it, if not then they will need to reset the snapshots and that will cause them to be deleted. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, September 15, 2014 4:06 AM
  • I just got the same thing with a regular snapshot that has volume protection set for the SNAPSHOT.

This is a Windows error, not a vendor error. Meaning, you are support.

Saturday, February 9, 2019 2:22 AM