MDT 2013 import driver failure: Could not find a part of the path RRS feed

• Question

• I have a MDT 2013 installed on Win2012 R2, found the "Could not find a part of the path" error while try to import drivers of a HP kabylake system to the MDT.

This is what was observed:

• There are 6 subfolders which contain different drivers, i.e. Audio, chipet, VGA, inputDevice, LAN, others. All the 6 folders are saved under a main folder called HP_system-A.
    • Drive import could pass if I import driver from the 6 subfolders one by one.
    • Driver import will fail with the error as below if i choose to import from the main folder HP_system-A.

Below is the error message:

Expanding CAB file C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\2\SFPreset.cab.extract\SFPreset\SFPreset\SFPreset.iSST.cab

System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\2\SFPreset.cab.extract\SFPreset\SFPreset'. ---> System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\2\SFPreset.cab.extract\SFPreset\SFPreset'.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()
       at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.InternalGetDirectories(String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.ImportDriver.CountDrivers(DirectoryInfo theDir)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.ImportDriver.ProcessRecord()
       at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.DriverProgress.WizardProcessing()
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.WizardProgress.InitiateWizardProcessing()

Please help me if you have any idea, thanks!

• Edited by __baller Friday, July 7, 2017 1:36 AM
    Friday, July 7, 2017 1:34 AM

All replies

• TL;DR - copy the import path to a folder off the root of c:

MDT is written in c#, and uses the .NET framework, unfortunately, MDT then suffers from the built in 256 character max_path issue. Perhaps one of the files has a long filename, or is within a long path folder.

Soliution is to copy the folder you are trying to import to something "short" like;

c:\Import

-k

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Friday, July 7, 2017 5:33 PM
  • Hi Keith,

Thanks for the kind reply, but it seems to be not due to the max_path issue.

I didnt put my drivers under the folder where MDT complaint :'C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\2\SFPreset.cab.extract\SFPreset\SFPreset'.  But, I put a quite short path instead. 

Like what i posted:

• It failed if i imported all drivers together.
    • It could pass if i imported the drivers one by one.

Both drivers used are the same and saved in same path on the two methods above. Please kindly enlighten me if you have any idea, thanks.

Regards,

Jinhua

Monday, July 10, 2017 7:45 AM
  • I'm bumping into the same issue. The path doesn't appear to be the issue.

Orange County District Attorney

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 5:08 PM
  • Do you have a pointer to a driver in question.

It could be a *.cab file and the file name *within* the cab file is long.

Otherwise, I may ask you to launch https://live.sysinternals.com/files/DebugView.zip and then perform the action, we can see what is going on behind the scenes.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 5:27 PM
  • Yes, in my case it's failing on a Conexant driver. All the others are importing successfully. I'm going to be running the installer for the Conexant driver in my Task Sequence so I'm not worried about this one.

It's got to be what you're saying, the path inside the cab is probably too long.

Orange County District Attorney

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 5:44 PM