Action Center's notification stuck RRS feed

• Question

• I've had this happen twice now.  I get the little flag in the Taskbar to let me know there's a notification in the Action Center.  When I select the flag, it says '2 messages'.  I select. Open Action Center to see the messages and proceed with however I want to handle the notices.  Then the popup never goes away.  I'm stuck with that pop-up until I reboot.  Any way around this problem?

Fyi, one week old netbook, dualbooting XP & Windows 7 RC 7100.  Rarely using XP, but it has all it's updates, W7 has all important updates. 
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Wekebu,

I suggest you take the following steps to reset WMI Repository. If the issue can be resolved by following suggestion, the issue should be caused by a corrupted WMI component.

Restore the WMI Repository
    ====================
    1. Click "Start", type: services in the search box and press Enter.
    2. Right click on “Windows Management Instrumention”, choose Stop. Do not close this Service window.
    3. Locate Repository folder in C:\windows\system32\wbem, rename Repository to Repositoryold. Repository
    4. Restart the “Windows Management Instrumention” service.
    5. Restart the computer to test this issue.

Does it work?

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Monday, June 1, 2009 9:18 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Wekebu Monday, June 1, 2009 2:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mark L. Ferguson Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:56 PM
    Friday, May 29, 2009 9:16 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestion.  I will try this next time I get a stuck notification.  I had rebooted, whick made the notification window repair itself.
    Monday, June 1, 2009 2:20 PM

All replies

• wekebu,

Which netbook do you have? Did you go find the latest video drivers for it?
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:12 AM
    Answerer
  • Good idea!  It's a MSI Wind U123.  I went to MSI's site, can't find in their support any drivers.  Looked in some forums, but nothing so far.  I'll keep searching.  Thanks
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Hi Wekebu,

I suggest you take the following steps to reset WMI Repository. If the issue can be resolved by following suggestion, the issue should be caused by a corrupted WMI component.

====================
    2. Right click on “Windows Management Instrumention”, choose Stop. Do not close this Service window.
    3. Locate Repository folder in C:\windows\system32\wbem, rename Repository to Repositoryold. Repository

Does it work?

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Monday, June 1, 2009 9:18 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Wekebu Monday, June 1, 2009 2:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mark L. Ferguson Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:56 PM
    Friday, May 29, 2009 9:16 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestion.  I will try this next time I get a stuck notification.  I had rebooted, whick made the notification window repair itself.
    Monday, June 1, 2009 2:20 PM
  • I just had the same problem. Press control + alt + delete, go to processes, then kill explorer.exe. Then click new task, type explorer, and press OK.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:18 AM
  • Worked perfectly! Thanks!
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Thx it helped alot @sekander94 and for Windows 8 users, do 

1)control + alt + delete

2)select "task manager"

3)Go to "Details"

4)Then click any program and press "E" on ur keyboard.(Optional)

5)and then end task for explorer.exe

6)Go to File and click on "Run New Task"

7)Finally type in "explorer.exe"

(All the inverted commas are NOT NEEDED for these steps) :)

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:26 AM
  • Like very complicated lol
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:27 AM
  • Hi Wekebu,

====================

Does it work?

Thanks.

Can't do it on Windows 8.1. I can't seem to run anything regarding PC settings. Attempting to rename the wbem folder results in an error because there are still files in use after stopping the services.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:41 PM
  • thanks , it worked on windows 10 ...just you need to make sure the service is stopped when you try to rename the folder because the service restarts again quick
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 3:20 AM