Screen goes black and won't respond RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 on my Dell Inspiron™ 545 MT(D044505) and now after about 10 minutes the screen go black and it won't respond to the keyboard/mouse so I have to reboot using the power button on the system box.

I've tried altering the power management setting with no luck, but have discovered that leaving Windows Media Player running stops the black screen appearing.

I've looked at the event logs at there's a SQL Server error (it's my development machine) which I'm looking to resolve seperately, but nothing else obviously wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem is or how I can investigate further?

Thanks.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 12:52 PM

Answers

• I recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 on my Dell Inspiron™ 545 MT(D044505) and now after about 10 minutes the screen go black and it won't respond to the keyboard/mouse so I have to reboot using the power button on the system box.

I've tried altering the power management setting with no luck, but have discovered that leaving Windows Media Player running stops the black screen appearing.

I've looked at the event logs at there's a SQL Server error (it's my development machine) which I'm looking to resolve seperately, but nothing else obviously wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem is or how I can investigate further?

Thanks.

hi ,

since its a dell

http://support.dell.com/

have a nice day
    Scan with OneCare + 50 Windows 7even Tips + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR+ Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Office 2010 beta + Get Windows LIVE!
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:04 PM
  • You didn't say if you updated your bios or updated your drivers from Dell who has Window 7 drivers available for your unit. Go into safe mode because as the machine should be stable from what you're describing, its a driver issue. Disable any antivirus before you install the drivers (not during download to store to the hard drive = that's ok).
    Dell 32bit drivers are here
    Dell 64bit drivers are here

The bios update was released in Dec 2009

If there are still issues, then we can work on it from that point by doing a Clean Boot to determine if

a software conflict could be causing the problem. Could you please take a Clean Boot to narrow down the issue?

For your convenience:

Clean Boot

===========================

1. Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the Services tab, check the Hide All Microsoft Services box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to narrow down the problem.

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:11 AM
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 10:06 PM

All replies

Thanks.

hi ,

since its a dell

http://support.dell.com/

have a nice day
    Scan with OneCare + 50 Windows 7even Tips + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR+ Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Office 2010 beta + Get Windows LIVE!
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:04 PM
  • You didn't say if you updated your bios or updated your drivers from Dell who has Window 7 drivers available for your unit. Go into safe mode because as the machine should be stable from what you're describing, its a driver issue. Disable any antivirus before you install the drivers (not during download to store to the hard drive = that's ok).
    Dell 32bit drivers are here
    Dell 64bit drivers are here

The bios update was released in Dec 2009

If there are still issues, then we can work on it from that point by doing a Clean Boot to determine if

a software conflict could be causing the problem. Could you please take a Clean Boot to narrow down the issue?

For your convenience:

Clean Boot

===========================

1. Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the Services tab, check the Hide All Microsoft Services box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to narrow down the problem.

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:11 AM
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 10:06 PM